Antelope Unit?

Trophy_Taker

I have 4 points and would like a realistic chance at an 80+ inch buck. I have narrowed things down to 7 units where I have enough points based on last year?s odds to be in the game. I'm not opposed to paying the special tag price. What unit is best for a trophy goat hunt?

92 with 4 pts? You sure about that? 53 has lots of private, but quality is good.

112 could hold an 80"er.

Don't know anything about 73 or 106.

My choices would be in this order for the other units: 92,112,96,98,53( because of all the private).

Any of those units in Wyoming can have an 80 incher, but I wouldn't say a realistic chance. Yes someone will shoot one, but it probably will not be you. Not being mean, but realistic. Everyone things the right tag equals a good shot at a book buck but that is not the case. There are other factors...good news you control some, but you don't control the others. Out of that list I like 92.

LAST EDITED ON May-18-15 AT 06:11PM (MST)[p]I would agree with the above of 92 and 92/96 have been combined this year. I think ya can still apply separately for each but they are valid for either unit.

I hunted one of the best units in the State, with max points, last year and looked over 250+++ different buck and found exactly one 80" bucks.
I have to agree with 30hart. If it's going to be "80 or bust" you might be disappointed with almost any unit you can draw with 4 points.
Hey, hunting is still awesome when you leave the tape home!
Just my uneducated 2 cents,
Zeke

State record came out of 73 a few years back....Nearby units have been good the last few years. If I had the points, I would sniff around there. 106 would be iffy in my book, the drought hit the top of the rim worse than units off the rim...

I've lived in the state all my life and can tell you that 30Hart is right. There is an 80+" in every one of those units.
It just depends on if you can hold out long enough and can tell the 80+ from the 79-.
I'll pm you more info.

py

Thanks for the replies guys. This helps a bunch in narrowing things down further. Interesting that they combine unit 96 with 92 yet still have a separate hunt that is only for unit 96. Anyone know why the change?

Not positive but I'm thinking population is down in 96 and trying to help that out. Must be for 92 also. Just a guess though.

>State record came out of 73
>a few years back....Nearby units
>have been good the last
>few years. If I
>had the points, I would
>sniff around there.

Pretty sure that was in area 25 off Ormsby Road...

Triple_BB is CORRECT IT WAS UNIT 25 and lots of Private too I think. read the story and the hunter had access to Private land to hunt but got the Lope outside of ranch on BLM land.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Word was that goat spent most of his time across the highway in unit 73, just happened to stray into 25 at a bad time for him.....good for the hunter though.

I have hunted 73 a few times. It is a good unit for average pronghorns that score up to the mid-70's B&C and a maybe occasional larger one that spends most of it's time on private land. You always have a slugger's chance of finding an 80" buck but I would not recommend it as a unit the has a "realistic chance" at an 80" buck.

>State record didn't come out of
>73 or 25, although I've
>seen 90" bucks out of
>both.
>
>Your best bet at an 80"
>buck is to have Topgun
>score it!

I had to look twice to see who made that condescending post, as I'd swear it had to have been from your Laramie buddy, who still hasn't apologized to nfh for his elk debacle last Fall! FYI I was only an inch off on the 84 4/8" B&C buck's score that my buddy shot last year, so I more than know how to score a goat and don't need any of your unnecessary wiseacre comments!

What did you say this buck scored Topgun?

9799tglope.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-20-15 AT 07:49PM (MST)[p]You tell me what I said it scored since you seem so interested in it, as it doesn't appear to matter what I say since you are the expert along with your Laramie buddy who can score them right down to 1/8" on the internet just by looking at one picture! Please take it somewhere else if you want to cut down people for no reason other than to be a jerk, as I'm not playing your game! Your buddy says it won't go 70", but he also said the bull nfh shot was 345" and it scored close to 380", LOL! So much for you internet picture scorers!!!

It's so nice to see you back after your absence Toppy. Now please leave Buzz out of this and any talk about an elk. This about 80" antelope , remember?

What was the score you came up with on that buck? You never did tell me.

>It's so nice to see you
>back after your absence Toppy.
>Now please leave Buzz out
>of this and any talk
>about an elk. This about
>80" antelope , remember?
>
>What was the score you came
>up with on that buck?
>You never did tell me.
>

I've been here right along and haven't been absent at all just because I haven't been posting much. You obviously can't comprehend simple English, as I just said in my previous post that I'm not playing your game! You know what I said it would probably score and if you don't like it or believe it that's your problem, not mine, so go take a hike and bother someone else.

LAST EDITED ON May-20-15 AT 08:15PM (MST)[p]I'm not playing a game Topgun, but if you got 80 inches out of that buck, I was going to tell the OP, it didn't matter where he hunted in Wyoming, because 80" bucks were everywhere!

Yeah...that ones close to 80, with no mass, no prong, and no length.

I think 73 is gifting that buck on every measurement.

Lets see...just where does that buck in the picture come close to length, mass, or prong on this buck???

IMG_4298.JPG

I'll admit antelope are not easy to judge. But it doesn't take much to look at the buck jm77 posted and compare it to an officially scored net 80 4/8 buck to know something isn't right with a claim of 80+.

The numbers just don't add up...the difference in the prongs alone is probably over 4 inches between the 2 bucks. That's already down to 76 net...assuming the mass and length are equal (which there is no way they are).

I think 73 gross is being generous.

I see Frick has now joined Frack in the putdown dept. that they are both very good at! Please show me where I said that buck was over 80", as I haven't unless there was a typo somewhere that you can point out. To shut both of you up the numbers on that buck are: Right side: 14, 6 4/8, 6 3/8, 4 2/8, 3 3/8, Prong 4 4/8 = 39
Left side: 14 1/8, 6 3/8, 6 2/8, 4 1/8, 3 2/8, Prong 4 2/8 = 38 3/8
Gross= 77 3/8
Net= 76 4/8
Deducts= 7/8

If you have a problem with those numbers, come to MI and score him yourself!

LAST EDITED ON May-21-15 AT 11:57AM (MST)[p]>Would be interesting to see the
>other side of those goats?
>Non-3d.

I really wish I had taken more pictures Junior, but I was way back in the boonies by myself by the 4th day when I shot him, didn't even know how to use the camera timer to get in the picture with him, and I was really more interested in getting him caped out and back to the truck to keep him in decent shape because of the warm weather. My buddy from Sheridan and other friend from Idaho had already shot their nice goats the first 3 days and had to leave to get theirs back so they wouldn't spoil. I know the picture does not make it look like he scores as high as he does and I've got a lot of grief over it from several people, but it is what it is! I very seldom even put a tape to an animal, but did on this one because his prongs were so high up on his horns. When I first taped him real quick I made a boo boo in doing the math to get the 4 circumference measurement spots and it looked like his third circumference score would be taken just below the prong swell. If that had been possible he would have gone around 82, but when I redid the calculations for the 4 spots the third one was into the prongs, had to be taken right above the prong, and resulted in the numbers I posted. I really don't care what he scored, as he is a very nice one and it's too bad people can't just look at a picture and say good job or nice animal instead of what happened with him, as well as the bull that Michael shot last Fall where that thread turned into a real debacle. Anyway, I hope this has laid to rest the negative critique of him and we can return to discussing important matters on the Forum!

Wow, over 6 inches of mass on the first two measurements...that antelope buck must have eyes like Marty Feldman.

Just sayin'...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom