Antler Buyers/Current Prices

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
Anyone have any recommendations on antler buyers in or around Albuquerque?

Also, what are the current trends for prices?

My wife has finally had it with my shed stack...

Thanks in advance,

Cody

www.streamflies.com

I dont know anything in burque, but a good friend of mine took his pile to the trinidad antler warehouse and brought home a check of $2500, apparently they take everything from chewed chalk, to browns, its all about weight but they wont weigh browns with chalk. if i remember correctly it was $6 a pound for fresh browns may be worth the trip north..

Cody,There's a guy from Chama that comes down to the flea market here in SF.

He;s paying $8lb for brown and $5lb for hard white.

I believe Mozey sold to someone in ABQ,If you need the guys #
from up north let me know.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-12 AT 09:21PM (MST)[p]From what I know it's seasonal. I drove 800 lbs up to the Idaho border last November and got $7.50/lb for browns. The guy I sold them to told me they go up to $8/lb in January or February before dropping off some in March (the old law of supply vs demand). That's been confirmed by a Utah buyer that I've since talked with. The real trick is how they grade browns from hard whites from chalk--got to be a lot of subjectivity there.

Unfortunately, I'd just been tossing mine in the back yard to depreciate, so only 40 of the 800 lbs qualified as brown. Lesson learned, keep those things out of the sun--they depreciate very quickly.

I also have a business card of a buyer in Pagosa Springs if you're interested, but I've never sold to them so I'm not sure of his prices or how he grades. Maybe you could try 'em and then come back and tell me how they are...

PM me if you want any additional info.

3239shedsell.jpg

Hi Cody,
I am in the area. I buy antlers, shed have been going $8 per pound for good browns. I will buy any antlers from chaulk to brown. My phone number is 505-350-6487. Give me a call anytime.

Different things. Some use them for crafts, some are going for dog chews. Its funnny it would seem like they wouldnt be worth anything.

Here's what they looked like all sorted. The small pile in the front was the 40 lbs of brown. Going clockwise from there, the next pile was the hard whites, then the chalk with cracks, and then everything else was the lowest classification (junk), which still paid $1/lb:

6906sortedsheds1.jpg

1908sortedsheds2.jpg

Thanks for all of the great info and connections guys and gal!

Moze, dear lord man! What happened, did your family run an intervention on you and film a special of Antler Hoarders!? Quite the stack man and I'm sure it was well worth the drive to offload that collection.

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

Hi Cody,
Can you give me a call again sometime? I lost your phone number. I am going to be in your area soon so I would like to meet you, and buy
buy your antlers. 505-350-6487 Audrey

>Here's what they looked like all
>sorted. The small pile
>in the front was the
>40 lbs of brown.
>Going clockwise from there, the
>next pile was the hard
>whites, then the chalk with
>cracks, and then everything else
>was the lowest classification (junk),
>which still paid $1/lb:
>
>
6906sortedsheds1.jpg

>
>
1908sortedsheds2.jpg

Good lord Mozey, how many pairs of boots did you wear out picking those?

$1 a pound for discards? I am tired of the dogs leaving them around the yard, maybe I should gather them up and sell them.

"I am tired of the dogs leaving them around the yard"

Wish I had that problem. On the way back from this trip we stopped at a Home Depot in Provo where a guy was selling three golden retriever pups. Without knowing where we'd been he said that he'd raised their momma to be a very effective shed-hunting dog. If I'd had my way, we'd have taken all three right there. Just wasn't quite able to convince the wifey on the idea that they'd make us some money by bringing back sheds... ;-)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-12 AT 09:05PM (MST)[p]allabouthunting...

Was that you that was in the Taos area last weekend?

I heard about a guy in town also giving $8 a lb for good browns. If so when will you be coming back. I got a buddy that needs to sell and he told me to let him know if any antler buyers are in town.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom