Antlerless Elk Help

StickFlinger

Looking for a unit to put in for that a couple of old folks might have a chance at getting a cow close to the road. Thanks for any input.

Deseret has always been a good hunt for my youth. Would be the ticket for a couple older gentlemen also.

Every single unit in Utah could fit this description, and simultaneously, none of them could. Elk don’t hang out near roads all the time. You’d just have to get lucky by being in the right place at the right time.

I hunted Deseret a few years ago for a cow and our pack out was nearly 2 miles to the road. But we chose to go down that canyon for fun as there were no elk anywhere near a road at that time.

Snow is more of a factor for “close to the road” than the actual unit is. Some years we can shoot them off I-15. Others on the same unit we have to hike straight up hill for a mile or more to get in range. You can shoot a cow from the road on any unit in the state, if you are in the right place at the right time. Probably could do the same with a 180” deer too, just gotta be lucky

Thanks for the suggestions on a couple replys. Sorry I even asked for help, I should of know better.
You were given straight up answers here, sorry if they weren't to your liking. Elk can be anywhere at any time and that is basically the answers you were given. There isn't a unit that you can just drive around and find elk off the road at will. Elk aren't stupid. The ones near a road will usually here you long before you get to them and will disappear long before you ever knew they were there.

It sounds like you need to find a unit with lots of roads and easy walking. Then just hope for the best.

Wife has 3 I have 2 points
Dessert is the best unit for what you are looking for 93% success rate and you can basically drive up to one and shoot it. The problem you might have is you probably dont have enough points yet. 4 points would probably be the magic number. Hope this helps.

If there was a unit where what you're wanting actually existed, it would take 10 or more points to draw.

I'm sorry that people respectfully and honestly answered your question. Guys have been roasted for questions like this but you got quality responses.

My son drew the book cliffs cow elk hunt last year. It is a high success hunt. We saw plenty a cow elk from the road to shoot at. Unfortunately, you need like 7 or 8 points to draw the tag though.

There is no antlerless elk tag in the state that requires 7 or 8 points to draw. Thank goodness! At least not yet.

Check the draw report. There might be a couple CWMUs you can pull with 3 points that might fit your needs. No guarantees though. It’s called hunting, not killing.

There is no antlerless elk tag in the state that requires 7 or 8 points to draw. Thank goodness! At least not yet.

Check the draw report. There might be a couple CWMUs you can pull with 3 points that might fit your needs. No guarantees though. It’s called hunting, not killing.
Your right Vanilla! I should have looked before spewing off incorrect information.

I’ve been on close to 50 cow elk harvests. A very large number of those are on public OTC or draw tags, spread throughout the state. Only 6 of those were actually located away from the roads. Just picked a spot that looked good and went for a hike. Most of the time in December or January, you can spot the herds from the roads if you know how to locate late season elk in general. Then you drive as close as possible to them. At which point you either break out your long range gun and sand bags or you go for a little hike to get a closer shot. If you are gonna shoot elk from the actual road, find a spot that has a road inbetween the mountain they bed and hang out on during the day and the food source they travel down to at night. Then, before it’s even thinking about light, be on that road, driving in with your lights off, waiting for them. Wait for a fresh snow so you can see their tracks where they crossed and wait there. If you do everything right, odds are, you’ll catch them not far off the road right at shooting light. But for all that to take place, you first need to do the scouting and location determining on your own. That’s going to require a few trips out on your own looking for where these places are. They aren’t everywhere, but they do exist.

ps. Try to shoot them on the up hill side of the truck. Even a calf can be a bitcch to drag on deep wet snow

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom