Any AZ Elk Reports?

It’s been kinda meh, they bugle for about an hour or two in the morning then don’t start up again till right before dark. Bulls respond to calls but don’t really get fired up. Still seeing big bulls solo ignoring cows. Some are with cows but don’t seem to be rutting really hard.

I am headed down to 6A in the morning for my own hunt. I have a friend down there right now and said the last week has been very slow, same as above. Very little in the morning and just before dark. Small bulls with the cows from what he has been seeing. So, HOPEFULLY any day now, it turns ONNNNN!!!!!!!

I am headed down to 6A in the morning for my own hunt. I have a friend down there right now and said the last week has been very slow, same as above. Very little in the morning and just before dark. Small bulls with the cows from what he has been seeing. So, HOPEFULLY any day now, it turns ONNNNN!!!!!!!
Good luck to you guys! I am guessing it will kick in soon but this has been a weird year all around.

All we need is one good bull to get horny!!??

Unit 10 same as the above reports. Also having more encounters with other hunters than I expected. The bulls will answer to cow calls but won’t come in. I need to figure out a new, middle of the hot windy day hunting strategy!
The heat is getting to me. Took a nap and dreamed I called in a chimpanzee……

Unit 10 same as the above reports. Also having more encounters with other hunters than I expected. The bulls will answer to cow calls but won’t come in. I need to figure out a new, middle of the hot windy day hunting strategy!
The heat is getting to me. Took a nap and dreamed I called in a chimpanzee……
Plus unit ten every tag comes with 4-5 “helpers” it always puts lots of traffic in the junipers. But I can not talk crap, I love that unit and will go anytime my brother, relative, or I have a tag.

I was in the southern end of 6A last week just for fun. A lot less action than I was expecting but I also was not on a mission to finding a killer just some casual morning glassing. Didn’t even make it out at night.

3A3C VERY disappointing SLOOOOOW! Hunted with son for 11 days had to resort to sitting water (all day), which is not the hunt we spent all those points for. We are going back up tonight after cleaning up. Bulls are there but hard to hunt when they bugle once maybe twice and go to bed. Had more bugle action on a Colorado OTC tag.

Very slow and limited rut activity here in 5A as well. A few bugles at night, and at first and last light of the day, but no crazy rut fest type action that we often see in other areas at this time of year. We have been into bulls nearly every time out by mixing up our tactics (ambush, sitting water, calling). Just need it all to come together. Still have a few days to get it done.

Elk have completely went silent-making it tough. Haven’t heard a real bugle since Monday night.

I am shocked how many dudes here in AZ hunt elk from their side by side driving them all over the place, including on roads that are obviously closed by the forest service. Utahns take a lot of crap for crazy hunting tactics, and rightfully so, but I have never seen crap like this in AZ. I am sure it plays a big part in the elk going silent and nocturnal (full moon and warm temps don’t help either).

Elk have completely went silent-making it tough. Haven’t heard a real bugle since Monday night.

I am shocked how many dudes here in AZ hunt elk from their side by side driving them all over the place, including on roads that are obviously closed by the forest service. Utahns take a lot of crap for crazy hunting tactics, and rightfully so, but I have never seen crap like this in AZ. I am sure it plays a big part in the elk going silent and nocturnal (full moon and warm temps don’t help either).
I totally agree! I was in 27 for 13 days. What a S…show!!!! Every tag had 3+ helpers and ATV’s driving everywhere!! I think all the ATV and truck traffic made them go silent. We would be in the area at least an hour before shooting time and the bulls would talk a little. As soon as the first ATV would drive by they would shut up. In 13 days we only saw 2 hunters more than 100 yards off the road (but admittedly there are roads everywhere).

We worked our butts off and put in a LOT of miles on foot each day and got into some action tho. Called in a few really good bulls but either the wind would switch or a cow would get in the way or stop behind a tree etc. Passed on a 300” bull at 41 yards while sitting on water one evening and passed up a couple 290 bulls that I called in. Just couldn’t get the stars to align with the big guys.

Honestly, I’ve had more action and less ATV issues on Colorado OTC hunts than this hunt which took 18 points to draw.

I totally agree! I was in 27 for 13 days. What a S…show!!!! Every tag had 3+ helpers and ATV’s driving everywhere!! I think all the ATV and truck traffic made them go silent. We would be in the area at least an hour before shooting time and the bulls would talk a little. As soon as the first ATV would drive by they would shut up. In 13 days we only saw 2 hunters more than 100 yards off the road (but admittedly there are roads everywhere).

We worked our butts off and put in a LOT of miles on foot each day and got into some action tho. Called in a few really good bulls but either the wind would switch or a cow would get in the way or stop behind a tree etc. Passed on a 300” bull at 41 yards while sitting on water one evening and passed up a couple 290 bulls that I called in. Just couldn’t get the stars to align with the big guys.

Honestly, I’ve had more action and less ATV issues on Colorado OTC hunts than this hunt which took 18 points to draw.
I was there too SD. What a joke! 300 tags is rediculus! Not the quality it was last 2 times I’ve been there. So many camps! 27 is not worth the points it takes to draw.
I will add that Arizona folks are the friendliest people on earth!

Last edited:
I was there too SD. What a joke! 300 tags is rediculus! Not the quality it was last 2 times I’ve been there. So many camps! 27 is not worth the points it takes to draw.
I will add that Arizona folks are the friendliest people on earth!
You should see it during the late rifle hunt, it’s even worse.

You should see it during the late rifle hunt, it’s even worse.
Now y’all are scaring me … we gonna need rubber bullets and tear gas? I’m still working through my shopping list…

How to avoid it? Or, should we try? As in, elk are likely to be concentrated where the hunters are? Or elk will be dispersed and getting away from pressure won’t necessarily get us away from elk?
Is it better below the rim?

Just do your best to get into roadless areas. There are no secret spots anymore with technology nowadays. Definitely less crowded the further in you get, but getting one down and then packed out can be rough. You will see bulls, it’s just there seems to be more competition than ever.

Try the late Kiabab deer hunt. A lot of these guys just make their own roads. Even in the wilderness areas, and no one is enforcing it which really sucks.

Just do your best to get into roadless areas. There are no secret spots anymore with technology nowadays. Definitely less crowded the further in you get, but getting one down and then packed out can be rough. You will see bulls, it’s just there seems to be more competition than ever.
Though from what I’ve heard I won’t be surprised or disappointed to see horse camps off the roads either!

Should we get one down I’ll have the advantage of strongback sons and our dogged stupidity. And probably cold enough weather to provide some time

I had high hopes for my 3a3c bull tag... I agree with the above sentiments about it being a bigger cluster F and more pressure than an otc CO hunt.

All the cows I saw were in what appeared to be great shape, so the slow rut activity was baffling. Even on the 23rd there were still 280 bulls with 8 cows. A bunch of the bulls I saw had great fronts and 3rds but went to crap on their tops. The lack of rain in June/ July I'm sure was to blame.

Overall, disappointed! But I'm a sucker, so hopefully I get a chance to try it again!

I had high hopes for my 3a3c bull tag... I agree with the above sentiments about it being a bigger cluster F and more pressure than an otc CO hunt.

All the cows I saw were in what appeared to be great shape, so the slow rut activity was baffling. Even on the 23rd there were still 280 bulls with 8 cows. A bunch of the bulls I saw had great fronts and 3rds but went to crap on their tops. The lack of rain in June/ July I'm sure was to blame.

Overall, disappointed! But I'm a sucker, so hopefully I get a chance to try it again!
Wow that sucks. I have a friend that killed a nice bull this year and a couple of friends that guide in the unit that killed some toads this year

I messed up by not bringing 15 dudes to help! (Like everyone else)
Was close (40 yards and less) on a 350 type bull a few times in bed. Other "hunters" hunting with the wind straight at their backs bumped him on 2 different days and one of his cows busted me once. The cover they were bedding in was thick and just couldn't get a clear shot, there was always a bush or a branch in the way.
I'm just saying the hunter/helper pressure was worse than what I see in CO on a otc hunt... and it is horrendous here!
I wasn't happy when the FS closed a ton of roads here in CO, but now I enjoy the benifits of it (less people driving all over and less pressured game). I feel the hunting would be better in 3c if they did the same and closed a few roads to give the elk somewhere to sleep.

I hate to admit it but I feel better after hearing of other's struggles. After a tough hunt you go on Instagram and feel like everyone knocked down a 380+.

IMG_3772.jpeg

Dad had this bull in bow range but let him walk because the herd bull was significantly bigger. Turned out to be his only shot opportunity. I agree that the hunter/helper pressure was intense but I would go back in a heartbeat.

I messed up by not bringing 15 dudes to help! (Like everyone else)
Was close (40 yards and less) on a 350 type bull a few times in bed. Other "hunters" hunting with the wind straight at their backs bumped him on 2 different days and one of his cows busted me once. The cover they were bedding in was thick and just couldn't get a clear shot, there was always a bush or a branch in the way.
I'm just saying the hunter/helper pressure was worse than what I see in CO on a otc hunt... and it is horrendous here!
I wasn't happy when the FS closed a ton of roads here in CO, but now I enjoy the benifits of it (less people driving all over and less pressured game). I feel the hunting would be better in 3c if they did the same and closed a few roads to give the elk somewhere to sleep.
3C has some roads closed to motorized vehicles. That's the areas we were into 2-3 miles one way.

You must have hiked a half mile from a road and started walking parallel to it. It is impossible to get 3 miles from a road that isn't closed to motorized travel in 3c. Maybe you were hiking into the rez unbeknownst to you.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom