ANY BIG MOOSE

denzdye

THIS YEAR I HEARD OF A LOT OF DISSAPOINTED MOOSE HUNTERS IN UTAH. LOW NUMBERS, QUALITY, ETC BUT DID ANYBODY SCORE ON ANY BIG BULLS IF SO LETS SEE SOME PICS

I know of three moose taken in the Ogden/Monte Cristo area. The biggest being about 41 inches wide. One guy hunted until the lasted day and took a 38 inch moose he had been passing on all season. Sorry no pics. In contrast, I know of a 46 inch moose and a 52 inch taken in the same areas the year before(2007). I actually have pics of the 52 inch guy while he was still in velvet. My Dad took the 46 incher opening weekend then saw a larger one while elk hunting a few weeks later also. This was definitely a down year (2008) for the moose, in this area atleast. I mentioned this also in another post on the general hunting page.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-09 AT 06:45PM (MST)[p]I killed a bull in the North Slope 3 corners unit that went 38" wide and my father in law killed a bull in the morgan/south rich that was 32" wide and that was the only bull we saw in his unit. Everyone I talked to said we were really lucky to have killed the bulls we did. It wasn't the best year to draw a moose tag, but I was happy with the one I killed.

WW0801

Here is my 2008 bull off the Odgen unit. I am feeling more and more fortunate each time I read a post about how tough it was for everyone this year on Moose. I took him with only one week left in the hunt. I did not pass on any bigger bulls so no regrets.

4966994d25896fae.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-09 AT 09:20PM (MST)[p]I think the tag increases are catching up to the moose quality just like they've done with the elk.

I have seen a very noticeable decrease in the number of moose and quality of bulls the last 3-5 years on the Wasatch-on public and private.

Not sure if it's all to blame on tag increases, but there is something definitely going on around here.

BTW-I'd be very happy with that bull!

Nice bull pictured above. Congrats.

This last year was a tough one for moose, but I really do not think it is because of the tag increases. Every unit struggled to produce huge bulls. In my taxidermy shop, I took in one nice bull out of the Unitas, but the rest were average.

I had a Wasatch moose tag in 2007 and shot a nice bull. I couldn't believe how many good moose I saw during my scouting and hunt, in all areas of the unit. Saw some great bulls after the hunt also. This past year we saw the same quantity, just not the quality. Some of the same bulls from 07 had worse antler growth in 08. Interesting to say the least. I just don't see hunter harvest as the lead cause on many units, but I am no expert.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom