Any deer up high in unit 4?

wallhanger

Hey guys- I hunted this unit two years ago with some success, but wanted to get your opinions/experiences for that country. Do the biggest bucks stay way up on top of the national forest (third week of October) in that area? Or do most of the deer live below the elk and all the timber? I know it's pretty thick on the national forest in that country, but suspect there are some open parks up high if I can find them. What do you think is the best bet?

I know the unit gets a lot of pressure, so I'm looking for ways to get away from the crowds if it's possible up there.

Thanks,

WH

i have hunted this unit for 6 years in a row now if the weather is warm they will be up high. if it gets cold and they get snow up high they will migrate down to lower elevations.last year did not see very many deer in this area because of the winter kill in 07.lots of people in the national forest.

Thicketmaster-

Thanks for the response. I've been out of town for a few days. Anyway, the only year I hunted the area was in '07 when we got all the snow in the 2nd season, so the deer were low. Good to know that they'll be higher if it stays mild. Hard to get a good read with all the private around there. Are you going back again this year? If so, best of luck.

WH

I hutned the same unit the last two years and I hunted second season last year for deer..I also hunted there first season for elk the past two years and that ia why I chose to hunt deer there last season. Both years I saw alot of deer and I took a decent buck last season and I took him at about 8800 feet. Just got back from there a week or so ago on a scouting/camping trip and I saw some real nice bucks, and alot of smaller bucks 2x2 and 3x3. Most all of the were up high and it was actally pretty cool up there for that last weekend in July.

wallhanger,

It really depends on the weather...Many years the snow has been too deep and the deer prefer the more mild private land in lower elevations. With that being said, there are many large 'trophy' muleys up high in 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd rifle seasons. Find a good area and stick with it!

Colo_archer

I hunted the unit 1st rifle for elk 3 times this decade. We camp at 10,000 and although I see 100s of elk every time, the most deer I've ever seen is 8. I've driven the lower country before the season and seen 100s of deer. Not saying there aren't any up around 10,000, just not where we hunt.

another thing to look at too is the weather if it's been really wet down low you could have a lot of bugs and deer will move up higher for relief from them with it being cooler up high.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom