Any Dr's in the House?

completesportsman

Long Time Member
I have been having an unusual feeling in my chest for about 4 weeks, I went to the doctor Thursday, they told me I was in Atrial fibrillation! I am wearing a heart monitor for the next 30 days. I don't know what to think or what to expect, the doctors don't know what to do for me at this point either.

Anyone else have this condition or know anything about it?

I'm no doctor but I stayed at a Holiday Inn once. Hope you get it straightened out and it turns out to be nothing.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Thanks 1911,
I'm pretty shaken, I'm 36 yr old, I run and exercise and eat a clean diet, I don't understand. I have two girls I want to see grow up so I hope it ends up being a minor problem.

I'm no Dr but did lose one of my good friends a couple months ago. He wasn't feeling right, went to the Doc and he gave him some kind of heart monitor and said to come back next week. He passed in his sleep two nights later.

Richie was a Yard Maintenance Contractor. The guy was 59 but in outstanding physical condition...least we all thought so. RIP!!

Not to say that this might happen to you as i don't know the particulars in either case but it sounded so familiar, nothing to mess around with...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>I'm no Dr but did lose
>one of my good friends
>a couple months ago. He
>wasn't feeling right, went to
>the Doc and he gave
>him some kind of heart
>monitor and said to come
>back next week. He passed
>in his sleep two nights
>later.
>
>Richie was a Yard Maintenance Contractor.
>The guy was 59 but
>in outstanding physical condition...least we
>all thought so. RIP!!
>
>Not to say that this might
>happen to you as i
>don't know the particulars in
>either case but it sounded
>so familiar, nothing to mess
>around with...
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

geez sage! now the guy is not gonna get a wink of sleep!

AF can be a permanent condition or it could correct itself. It just depends on what is the cause. It can be regulated with meds or electronically. You will want to listen to your the advise given bu your Doc when the study is complete.

I'm no Quack!

Hope You're OK complete!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

I think you're just waiting in anticipation for Wiz-Bang's opinion of the Sonnen/Silva fight!

Seriously Complete, I hope everything turns out well for you.

>I have been having an unusual
>feeling in my chest for
>about 4 weeks, I went
>to the doctor Thursday, they
>told me I was in
>Atrial fibrillation! I am wearing
>a heart monitor for the
>next 30 days. I don't
>know what to think or
>what to expect, the doctors
>don't know what to do
>for me at this point
>either.
>
>Anyone else have this condition or
>know anything about it?

Not an MD, but a PhD in Physiology; hence the doc part of my name.

A-fib....I bet you already discussed this with your MD...was he/she a cardiologist or a 'regular' physician? How many ekgs were done? Who read them, a doc or a cardiologist? Were your results read/interpreted by a machine or a person?

I bet they ask you to do a stress test at some point in the near future.

Did the doc mention which type of a-fib? ( I bet that is what the monitor is for)

Any other symptoms other than funny feeling?

What was your heart rate?

A fib is often the result of an electrical conduction issue in your heart. Normally, the SA node does its thing without interruption (SA node is the thingy which gives your heart timing signals). Sometimes other parts of the heart can tell the atria, and subsequently the ventricles, to contract...in addition to what the SA node says to do. In other words, instead of only one source of stimulation (from the SA node), it is possible (in the case of a-fib) for *some* cardiac muscle to send additional signals. Most often these signals cause your heart to flutter a bit and cause an increase in heart rate.

Causes....

how is your thyroid? Did the doc ask for a blood panel?

Alcohol may play a part. So may caffiene in excess.

Any recent infections?

Do you run a lot? Sometimes an enlarged Left ventricle can be the cause.

High blood pressure?

History of CHD?

Hardening of the arteries? (back to that blood panel thing)

That's all I can think of for now. PM me if you wish.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-12 AT 03:14AM (MST)[p]This is something that you should ask your MD, not the MM forum.

I get it, your at the doctors appointment, nothing was explained to you, your uncormfortable, your in a gown, strangers hooking EKG machines up to your chest, blood work.... and in your rush to just get the hell out of there, you forget to ask " what does that mean? What could this mean? What are the treatments? What is a legit prognosis?"

Its YOUR health, he/she is your doctor, you are paying for answers, you may as well get some. My MD is on call 24 hours a day...him or whoever is covering for him!

I work with Radiologist- not usually an Ordering Physician- but with how communication goes in the health care system, I know that an outpatient x-ray is read with in 2 hours, and a cardiologist will look at a stress test within 10 minutes, for initial results-it may not be read for a few hours----- now the ordering MD may not look up the results for 3 days...its legal for you to come in to our office and get a copy of the findings, if the ordering MD hasn't contacted you. Call the place you had the exam, ask if result are available for you to come in and pick up.

My point: BE PRO-ACTIVE in your care, don't wait for results. If you have a question ask it then and there in the office. If the office refers you back to an ordering MD ask how long til those results will be available to them, and then call half an hour before they tell you.(It'll take you that long on hold!)

They (we) have NO (personal) interest in your healthcare- they get paid to act like they do. All we care about is doing the exam as fast and as good as possible. We've got 30 others behind you pissed off cause they had to wait for you...

Anyway-

We do many Cardioversions a week; here is a link that you may ask your MD about.

http://www.stopafib.org/electrical.cfm

Good luck-

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

A-Fib is treatable, V-Fib is lethal. I have a number of other cardiac problems as well as a propensity toward A-Fib. I have an implantable pacemaker that corrects it for me. Whenever I feel the old familiar flutter in the chest it takes over and regulates the beat. Hopefully that wont be necessary for you, but first thing I would recommend is cut out all caffeine, (even Dr Pepper.)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-12 AT 07:10AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-12 AT 07:08?AM (MST)

Thanks for all the replies and well wishes.

I went to my MD, he did blood work and and EKG, he sent me straight from his office to Wake Forrest Baptist Hospital.

They did another EKG, an echo cardiogram, and another test with a drug called adenosine that made me feel very strange, I had to sign a waiver for that one. None of the test made sense to the doctors. When I told them how much I run and work out they said no use in doing the stress test.

One doctor thinks I may be a normal variant but I don't...why would I start having problems now if it was something I was born with?

Anyway they plan to study the tests, look at the blood work when its done, and they ask me to wear the heart monitor and carry on about my daily routine, exercise and everything.

I have been under HUGE amount of stress at work, and I told the doctors that, I thought I could handle it but maybe not.

Thanks again for the replies.

feddoc,
my resting heart rate was 52 bpm, they didn't say anything about thyroid but they did do blood work.

tag,
if I don't hear from them by Monday morning I will call by Monday afternoon.

Why yes, I am a Dr. Thanks for asking. Don't have a clue about your condition though. Unless of course, your post is a Latin American short story, then it is a metaphor for the underlying causes of political instability in Latin America. Yeah - THAT kind of Dr. HA HA!

Hope you get feeling better.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-12 AT 08:59AM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-12
>AT 07:10?AM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-12
>AT 07:08?AM (MST)

>
>Thanks for all the replies and
>well wishes.
>
>I went to my MD, he
>did blood work and and
>EKG, he sent me straight
>from his office to Wake
>Forrest Baptist Hospital.
>
>They did another EKG, an echo
>cardiogram, and another test with
>a drug called adenosine that
>made me feel very strange,
>I had to sign a
>waiver for that one. None
>of the test made sense
>to the doctors. When I
>told them how much I
>run and work out they
>said no use in doing
>the stress test.
>
>One doctor thinks I may be
>a normal variant but I
>don't...why would I start having
>problems now if it was
>something I was born with?
>
>
>Anyway they plan to study the
>tests, look at the blood
>work when its done, and
>they ask me to wear
>the heart monitor and carry
>on about my daily routine,
>exercise and everything.
>
>I have been under HUGE amount
>of stress at work, and
>I told the doctors that,
>I thought I could handle
>it but maybe not.
>
>Thanks again for the replies.
>
>feddoc,
>my resting heart rate was 52
>bpm, they didn't say anything
>about thyroid but they did
>do blood work.
>
>tag,
>if I don't hear from them
>by Monday morning I will
>call by Monday afternoon.

I wondered if you ran a lot. In the case of those who do a lot of aerobic training, it...the massive amounts of blood coursing through your left ventricle...place a 'volume' overload on your heart which will give an increase in size of the LV. That *could* be the cause of your F-fib; especially considering your stress level at work.

Was it a cardiolgist who said no sense in a stress test or an MD?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom