Any electricians here??

W/V

I worked on ecm and radar in the 70s. Watched a dude in our lab get knocked several feet back, when he screwed up, after touching the wrong stuff on an energized 400v power supply.

The dude in the video has some guts.

Ya, as low as .08 amps kills. That's why a GFCI outlet is set at .05 to trip.
That’s incorrect. A GFCI trips at 5mA which is.005 fyi. Also the minimal to kill a person is generally accepted in most circles at 100mA or also .1 in decimal form. GFCI manufacturer use 100mA as the baseline for fatality.

Been in the trade a long time. 93.9% of electricians are installers and while they understand more than most very few actually understand electrical theory. It really shows when there’s technical troubleshooting and design.

Electricians are also the whiniest bitches on the job. You know that sissy growing up that his parents spoiled him and told him he’s special? They grow up to be electricians. You know that kid growing up that was dumb as rocks but tougher than hell so you were friends with him? Linemen. All ******* day long. I can think of no trade where one makes so much money and yet know so little except being a linemen.

Last edited:
My biggest shot was 7.5 kv off of a filament voltage on a klystron tube in the Navy. Found myself leaning against the opposite bulkhead watching the DMM float down from the overhead. Not sure of the amps (almost 40 yrs ago). Current went through the web of my right thumb and fore finger and out my right Knee. Shook it off, finished the PM and then went to the corpman. Finished my career with radar, comm, microwave and navaids. Been jolted a few times, but nothing like that one.

Electricians are also the whiniest bitches on the job. You know that sissy growing up that his parents spoiled him and told him he’s special? They grow up to be electricians.
Amen brother, they're like a different species. EI&C especially.
You know that kid growing up that was dumb as rocks but tougher than hell so you were friends with him? Linemen. All ******* day long. I can think of no trade where one makes so much money and yet know so little except being a linemen.
My son is a couple years down this path, should complete his apprenticeship in about 18 months.

That’s incorrect. A GFCI trips at 5mA which is.005 fyi. Also the minimal to kill a person is generally accepted in most circles at 100mA or also .1 in decimal form. GFCI manufacturer use 100mA as the baseline for fatality.

Been in the trade a long time. 93.9% of electricians are installers and while they understand more than most very few actually understand electrical theory. It really shows when there’s technical troubleshooting and design.

Electricians are also the whiniest bitches on the job. I Just Don't Know That You Had To Post That?
Electricians are also the whiniest bitches on the job. I Just Don't Know That You Had To Post That?

You know that sissy growing up that his parents spoiled him and told him he’s special? They grow up to be electricians. You know that kid growing up that was dumb as rocks but tougher than hell so you were friends with him? Linemen. All ******* day long. I can think of no trade where one makes so much money and yet know so little except being a linemen.

Last edited:
SS is right. I’m no electrician but I’m around them every day. They are the one trade that is on the job pretty much full time from start to finish like I am. What he said about installers is very true. A real electrician can troubleshoot and handle other things like controls. It’s cool to be around a real electrician because I learn a lot and they kind of like to teach. I have a lot of stories about them being whiny and grumpy too.

I know a lot of lineman. My best friend is one. He started working for the same company as my dad and he helped him get started with money management since he was going to be making a lot. My dad also had a lot of lineman buddy’s and told a joke that to be one, you need to have a size 44 chest (or something like that I can’t remember) and a size 5 hat.

Last edited:

Electricians are also the whiniest bitches on the job. You know that sissy growing up that his parents spoiled him and told him he’s special? They grow up to be electricians. You know that kid growing up that was dumb as rocks but tougher than hell so you were friends with him? Linemen. All ******* day long. I can think of no trade where one makes so much money and yet know so little except being a linemen.
What? No hole flow theory?

My son is a couple years down this path, should complete his apprenticeship in about 18 months.
Congrats to your son! High pay and great benefits but also a dangerous job! If I could go back in time I would of went the line route!

My middle daughter is in the middle of her 3rd year apprenticeship. I've been trying to get her into instrumentation and controls.

Congrats to your son! High pay and great benefits but also a dangerous job! If I could go back in time I would of went the line route!

I did the line route first for a bit. Helps understand a lot of things and when you walk onto a job your more valuable. In the oil filed i did electrical and minor line work.

Then on the electrical side I dont enjoy residential or commercial. same job different place.

Now i enjoy the instrument side. lots of troubleshooting and a wide variety of instruments. Programming is becoming my new favorite but also brings a builds a lot frustration.

My job has a lot of instrumentation and the contractor that does it for us, does extremely well for himself.
Basic electrical calls we charge 130/hr. Instrumentation we are billing out 220/hr. My guys all make the same doesn’t matter which call they are on. So yes instrumentation pays very well. With the exception of oilfields if you only can do instrumentation than you typically get stuck in a larger population area….

With the exception of oilfields if you only can do instrumentation than you typically get stuck in a larger population area….
Plenty of instrumentation work in rural power generation. The company I work for typically has a dozen EI&C positions open throughout the fleet, mostly Nevada and the never ending revolving door in Hawaii.

You haven't worked with any elevator installers lately. Have you read their contract? Surprised they don't have a mandatory snack time

Not wrong I guess I’ve been an electrician for a bit now and I’m definitely a whiny *****. I do understand ac and dc theory just a little bit though.

Your correct on the 5ma but are you saying that 8ma can't kill? I think it can.

My middle daughter is in the middle of her 3rd year apprenticeship. I've been trying to get her into instrumentation and controls.
This is great advice for your daughter. A few years back, my company did a large piping (drafting) project for a processing plant. I had to find an I&E contractor to help us with the job.
After a lot of searching, we finally had to fly a guy in from Texas. We had to pay him $100 an hour and pay for his flights and lodging.
Few want to do that type of work and they are in demand.

Your correct on the 5ma but are you saying that 8ma can't kill? I think it can.
I’m not saying that at all, I’m just letting you know what the industry says and what is the parameters for testing and rating. On the contrary very few people have ever died from low current, it usually takes quite a bit to actually kill someone. You can trip over your shoe laces and the fall kills you but that’s not the baseline for determining how high of a fall will kill you.

My educated view. As express above. Current is dangerous not voltage. Time duration of event also important. 100 milliamps of current flowing directly through heart for > 2 seconds = death.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom