Any good moisture so far?

buckhorn

Very Active Member
We had a fun discussion on this topic last year so I thought I would bring it up again this year.
How are things looking for moisture this winter so far?
How has this winter been compared to last winter?

Southern Utah I would say it’s been pretty perfect so far. Mild with storms spaced out open southern faces and breaks in between any accumulation. The summer is what broke us last year though no monsoon season whatsoever

I was down scouting on the Paunsaugunt last year during archery and muzzleloader season and it was very dry and dusty.
My son and I are both in for Pauns. deer this year.

I was beginning to worry about it being too dry. Is that not a problem in Utah?
Here in Northwest Nevada we are running way below average on precipitation this year. We did get some good storms over the last few days though that should help.
I was wondering if any of these recent storms made it to Utah?

Up here in the central mountains of Idaho we are around 60% of snow pack. Hopefully we will get a nice wet spring, but it sure is nice to see the wildlife get a break!

Today is our fourth day in a row with snow/rain. Waking up this morning to light snow. It’s like what winter should be except it’s not too cold. Lows around 30° and highs in the mid 40s.
The forecast is calling for another system to come in around Tuesday.
I hope this weather is coming your way.

Looking decent.

DADE3AD9-380E-46A6-A568-AE50EB997D16.png

Nice Graph
Would the Paunsaugunt be considered in the Upper Sevier area?
Or should I figure an average somewhere in between Southwestern and Escalante areas?

I would put it in the upper sevier for most of the summer range.

also these numbers are now higher as of last couple of days. Everything is green or above now and more coming this week.

We had a huge year last year due to a VERY wet spring. This year we’re sitting right around 100% normal statewide, which is perfect. As of today, things are looking really good for water.

Thanks for the replies.
Hopefully this wet trend will continue and we have a nice moist spring time.
I am concerned with the health of the entire big game herds. Also I am hoping for good antler growth for this year and years to come.

Utah is crazy remember so Ut had record rain last spring with flooding, then it didn't rain for 3 months.

Yep. A lot of gains made in Feb-May were minimized by a very dry summer. That said, following up last year’s huge year with an average year should have us in very good shape. Our reservoirs should mostly be full, which is a good thing. But we do need more summer rain storms than we got last year, that’s for sure.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom