Any pointers greatly appreciated

D

DRSLYR

I am an avid hunter living in lehi ut. I am also a newlywed, and my wife is from seattle. I am trying to slowly get her into hunting and shooting. She really likes the idea of shed hunting and has expressed a desire to go with me, but I have a problem, I have no idea where to go and where to look when i'm there. I've found sheds while hunting in so. UT, but have never gone out looking for sheds only. I would appreciate any ideas for areas close by and how to look. I don't want to know where "nunya" canyon is, just a direction to start. Hopefully in a couple years she'll want a tag too!!!
THANX

DRSLYR,
I've never been out and looked, but I would imagine a lot of deer come off the Oquirhh Mountains and shed in the foothills around Cedar Fort.

Good luck,

Rut

That was a great article and some nice pics(PRETTY COUNTRY). Do you know how far a buck usually travels in a year as far as elevation is concerned? I guess it makes sense to look in the normal areas that deer would be in the winter. What about elk sheds, they seem to be harder to find than deer antlers. Is it the numbers, or is the terrain just different.

DRSLYR

Rut
I tried a few weeks ago to go hiking near Cedar Fort, but could not find a way to get to the hills. It was so frustrating! Every road I tried ended at a gate. I remember hunting there with my dad(where he was stalked for 2 miles by a big cougar) when I was younger, but I don't know how to get up there today.
I'm sure there are some sheds there.

DRSLYR,
You are right, the hardest thing to find out there might be an access point. Did you try going past Cedar Fort and Fairfield and taking a right by the water tanks. I saw a few trucks up there this year, might be too late for this year but you may find an area to hit next year?

Good luck,

Rut

Hey Rutt. How's it goin? I cleaned up a couple of those old sheds you gave me. The 5 point elk shed was the sturdiest of the bunch and turned out the best. It is a little darker than they are naturally but I have done a couple others since and I think I have it figured out now. Thanks a bunch for letting me use them to practice with. I just stuck a new roll of film in the camera but I will take a picture of the elk shed when I get home. As soon as I burn the rest of the roll and get them developed I will send you a picture.

Have a good one and thanks again.

NvrEnuf

DRSLYR,
I use to find some nice sheds up in Battle Creek canyon above
P.G. high school, I also lived in Lehi. check out Spanish Fork
Canyon. If you ever get down around Price I can gove you some
directions, I went to highschool there.

good luck

NVMDF

NvrEnuf,
Hey it's good to hear that someone is getting some use out of those sheds. Make sure you post the pics so we can see how that 5-point turned out.

Rut

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom