Any Real Estate Agents here??

bowhunter223

Any full-time RE agents out in MM land?? How do you like the profession/business? Do you find it fits nicely with our love of hunting.....ie providing the income and free time to hunt?? Or not??
Pro's/Con's you've found with the business??
And finally, Any advice you could give for a soon to be licensee on the State (Utah) test.
Thanks in advance!!

Former agent here. I did it for 3 years long ago in CA. It's great if you like that kind of work. It takes up a lot of your evenings and weekends. I worked really hard at it but discovered it wasn't for me. I'm not a big social person and you need to be to be successful.

I also didn't like the part about pressuring people to buy or sell. I wasn't the best "salesman". My broker gave me a lead one time on a guy who wanted to sell his big ranch (1200 acers). I went out and looked at it and talked him into keeping it. My broker wasn't real happy.:)

You are free to work your own schedule (except for required office time. They need someone there to answer the phone and be available).

Eel

I'm Tellin Ya!

Wisz has Dealt with the Public,Maybe Dealt with them too much?

When the UDWR Called him last year,it was not the Best time for the Phone Call!:D:D:D

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

223, if your looking for a job that works well with taking time off to hunt this is not the one. If you would like to talk further with me to explain send me a PM.

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you think their right"

-Joe E Sikora

It's a great business to be in. I've been a Realtor for 8 years now and I wish I had started in this profession earlier. It gets tough at times. During the boom, there were 650 agents in the city of 100,000 that I live in. Now there are about 300...and maybe only 50% of those actually do any business. I've been fortunate and have made a good living at it. Some years are better than others but if you can budget, you'll make it through the dry spells. Good luck to you and your new profession.

If I can give you one piece of advice that will help you.....don't be a salesman. The product will sell itself. :)

M'Balz Es Hari

Thanks Wiszard!!! I appreciate the advice....
I'm 32 yrs old and like you, am wondering if maybe I shouldn't have done something like this earlier....? Time will tell...

It's like with any other client based business...if you are pushy you'll rub people the wrong way. While showing property, I say next to nothing in the way of what I think of the property. It doesn't matter what WE think, it matters what our clients think.
Return phone calls as quickly as you can. Some buyers/sellers don't really care if they use you or Joe Blow from another company. As soon as they get done leaving a message on your voicemail, they may be calling the other guy. Don't let clients slip through the cracks....get a white board and write every potential client's name and number on it. It serves as a constant reminder that they need you to work for them. It's the only way you'll build a good business. Once you get rolling....you'll love it.
Also, surround yourself with GOOD people...not the ones that are just in it to be social. You'll see a lot of that.

M'Balz Es Hari

If you like to lie and decieve people then you should be a realtor. If you have any morals at all look else where.

Wisz is Right!

He does Return His Phone Calls Quickly & Damn Sure Often!

Specially when He's trying to get ahold of the UDWR and they don't wanna Answer!:D

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

I don't think he spends any time here on MM, but one very well known hunter who is a very successful real estate agent is Jay Scott,of Arizona. He is a real estate broker in Scottsdale, and also one of the top elk hunting guides in the state. It works well for him.

On my 17Th Year now. I really enjoy working and meeting different people. My son is into all different sports, and we hunt all the time. I basically show property at my own convience. I have met many farmers and people that own property and it has given me the chance to get onto some great hunting ground. Love the business, been tough, and great. But 17 yrs, I think i"m established. With employment, life, hunting or anything you choose, if you go the extra mile the rewards are always greater.

John

Wow Elkantlers...
I take exception to that and I'll bet all the other Realtors on here do as well... It's true, there are some rotten guys out there, us GOOD Realtors have to deal with them every day... But don't group us all together like that, there are a lot of really great people that are Realtors... It's too bad you've had a bad experience.
I do a great job for my clients and they all recommend me to their friends and family because of it.
There are bad eggs in any industry you can name,...

CSO

It's all about the good times...

MonsterMuleysLogo.png

Yup, there are some di** head realtors out there for sure! Glad I'm not one of them. Getting back to the original question though....Real estate has worked out well for me, I started when I was 19 and have been doing it full time for 8 years now. You will have to work hard and keep motivated. Find a successful mentor that will guide you through the ins and out if possible! Never get complacent, you will be your own boss and its pretty easy to fall into that trap. Next thing you know, you won't have any money in your account and no pending sales!! In my experience the early bird gets the worm, I've found that I have to go to the gym in the early morning with a couple buddies so I can be held accountable with my schedule. YOU are your own boss, now you have to decide what drives YOU. Good luck, if you need some advice let me know.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

I'd be interested to hear of elkantlers bad experience. It sounds like you really may have ben mis-treated but if it were as bad as it seems, could YOU have dropped the ball at all? Real estate involves many facets to the discovery/investigation time frame. It is possible that you didn't drop the ball on some level? I only say that because it is not very often that someobdy has that nasty of stuff to say about a general profession. Can you let us know what your experience was that makes you feel like we're all liars and cheats?

M'Balz Es Hari

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-13 AT 10:45PM (MST)[p]Thanks Leicabucks!! I'll shoot you a PM.... we may have a friend in common...and I would love some added advice.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom