Any rutting activity in the Southern Parts

I live out east of roswell and there is a herd of about 45 deer around the house. the bucks are starting to chase around the does some. up until we got that small snow all the does were still by themselves with some yearling bucks. since the snow hit every herd of does has at least a couple of bigger bucks starting to chase them around. the peak of the rut shouldnt be far off, the biggest bucks are just now starting to show themselves

Unit 31...typically this time of year I find over a 100 does a day and at least a dozen good bucks. I can't explain it but I can't hardly even find a few does this year. The deer are out there but oilfield activity is crazy right now and so is the weather. A couple more weeks and hopefully I will be able to say something different.

the deer were tough to find in unit 33 as well. i plan on going to take some picture in the next week, and ill share what i find on here.

I always get excited when this thread pops up every year that I am carrying an archery tag for that area. It just helps to get me even more pumped up.

In unit 23, the Coues deer we got on december 9th had a BIG ol' neck on him. I've never seen any Coues deer in herds though, so I wouldn't know how their rutting activity is. If he hadnt starting rutting yet, he was about to start.

I have read the question a couple times and I am not sure he is talking about deer.

Things are pretty quiet in my household, however, if you are asking about deer, I have not seen rutting activity yet.

That's freaking hilarious!! The closer this January bow hunt gets the less rutting activity there is at the house !!! Lol. I am so excited for this hunt. Found a real nice herd of does in unit 19 this morning. 11 does and one scrawny little fork horn with only one antler. Funny seeing him with all those does. He is probably a baby and I hope a monster shows up.

Looks like the southern 1/2 of the state is really getting some weather. Might be just the ticket to kick things off for the archery hunt. Headed to 32 next week!!
Any new updates? The wait is killing me!

I work here at the NASA site by Cruces and it seems like the rut is going on here. Just saw a group of does who are usually by themselves with a really nice big buck. Looks like just in time for the archery hunt.

hell yeah! im hunting 31 in the sands by carlsbad i hope its going hard there too!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom