Any tips on Texas Exotics and bass fishing?

WHT_MTNMAN

So here it is in a condensed version: I booked a moose hunt for my son through an outfitter in Canada that a few friends of mine have used. My son's only wish the last few years was to go Moose hunting. I made arrangements that we would go for his senior year and a pre-mission Father/son bonding. This trip was supposed to take place first week of November.
Well I just got an email saying that the guide (25 yr old) was helicoptered out of a hunt area in BC and needs a kidney transplant. The outfitter can not find another guide to take us out. He seems to be honest and is sending back some of my money and holding the rest for a deposit for after my son gets home from his mission.

Of Course he is a little disappointed but, we have talked and his next "dream hunt" would be a Texas exotic ( undecided as of now) and a few days to catch bass. He has been fishing quite a bit this last year and has enjoyed that hobby. So my questions are:

1. Can anyone recommend an Texas ranch that may fit that bill. I am sitting down and starting to do my own research tonight but if I could get some personal input I would appreciate it.
2. Besides Texas, any other thoughts on places to go that may fit the bill?

Over the last 2 years I paid 6K for his moose hunt and me as a guest and I'll be getting 3k back at this time with the rest being held as a deposit for a future hunt. I'll have to stay somewhere around that price point. Thanks,
Houston Davis
[email protected]

If i was you, i would get 100 percent of deposit back. A lot of these outfitters go out of business. Especially, the ones that don't have access to several guides.

I agree about getting your entire deposit back, great point. I think we need some more information on white type of exotic you want to shoot. A black buck or red stag can eat that $3k up really fast, but you may be able to find some combo packages if you scour the internet. There is a facebook group called Hunting 4 Connections and there are a lot of outfits on there.

If the outfitter is cancelling on you, you need to get the whole deposit back. If he has any integrity at all he should still honor a spot for you in the future once he is healthy. A deposit is meant to keep the client from backing out. Not the other way around. Seems sketchy that he is keeping 1/2.

I agree that you should get the entire deposit back.

But what you really want to know is what to hunt. If I were in your shoes I would go on a west Texas Audad hunt. These are free range on giant properties and a true mountain hunt. It would be hard to find one for 3k but not impossible. I think if you could scrape together 4500-5000 you could get a really great sheep hunt. The downside is I think fishing is pretty limited out there but I could be wrong. An outfitter might know exactly where he could take you to wet a line.

Try these guys. A lot of my customers have used them and been happy. If I come up with any other names I will let you know.

http://www.desertsafaris.net/fraoudadsheep.asp

Good luck

Thank you everyone for the tips and calls.
For what it is worth, it was me offering to only have 50% of the deposit returned so that I could take my son at a later date. Moose is his life dream and for the price I don't think it can be beat. I'll keep looking around and if anyone else has any ideas i would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Houston

There are literally hundreds of exotic ranches here anything from high fence tell them what you want and they will get it for you to low fence spot and stalk. You can get anything you want, but a $3000 budget won't get you much. The Guest-Ranch has doe hunts for $150 to $400 per animal depending on what you want. Exotics bucks start around 2500 and the sky is the limit.Beware any Craigslist hunt as there are many shady "outfitters". As mentioned above you would probably enjoy a free range aoudad hunt the best. Google Muley Mike he can fix you up, but trophy rams run about $3000 each.

Hunter Ross at Desert Safaris has great aoudad hunting, but I think he is around $6500 now. I shot a very good one with him and the quality he has, as well as his service, was very much above average.

West Texas Hunt Organization, or mulie Mike as he commonly goes by, has a very good reputation, (I have never been with this outfit.)
www.westtexashunt.com
He has prices closer to your stated goal.

Aoudad hunting is a lot of fun, they make great mounts, but keep in mind, the meat is terrible.

Maybe he would enjoy an axis buck hunt? Again, prices are around what you are looking for and many places offer them. They make a beautiful mount and the meat is really good.

Another one to consider is Greg Simons at Wildlife Systems. I've never hunted exotics with him but have had a lot of fun hunting whitetails with his operation.
https://wildlifesystems.com/exotic_hunting.html

Hopefully you can get something figured out and post up a hunt report.

You might call some taxidermy shops in the Texas Hill country for a suggestion. I sent you a PM with some ideas on who to call.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom