Any unit 47 antelope reports

• Thread starter washingtonmuley
  • Start date
W

washingtonmuley

Getting ready to leave on friday for unit 47 and was wondering if anyone had any info for the area such as snow,antelope activity,etc.
Thanks,
WM

I'm curious as well. How are the roads holding up? Is the opening day crush over?

BTW the West Laramie Fly Shop is online and you can get info there also.

Pat C.

From NOAA for the area just west of 47:

PEOPLE WITH OUTDOOR INTERESTS SHOULD PREPARE FOR THE DRASTIC
CHANGE TO MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES AND CHANCES FOR SNOW. RANCHERS
AND PEOPLE WITH OUTDOOR PETS AND ANIMALS SHOULD MAKE NECESSARY
CHANGES TO PREPARE THE ANIMALS FOR THE ONSET OF COLDER AND WETTER
WEATHER. MAKE SURE TO PREPARE EVERYONE...ESPECIALLY CHILDREN AND
THE ELDERLY...FOR THE ONSET TO MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES
...ESPECIALLY FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY.

Pat C.

Thanks willy. That is going to be pretty cold in my tent but I think I will survive.Now,How about some hunt reports from 47.

Was there opening week, more antelope than I have seen in the last 5 years we have hunted there. Horn growth was good, found one antelope that we took that green scored 79 BC and was scored by an official scorer. Lots of goats, take your time and look around.

Rich

I put stall mats under my tent this year to help stop cactus etc from ruining the floor. They really held the heat of the day during the night ! IF you have some available you might give it a try.

Pat C.

We were there opening day, Friday was a zoo, Saturday a circus and by Sunday only a few people around. It was the only time I had open so thats when we went.

Rich

Washington Muley,

Your PM is disabled, call me at 503-266-1808 after 6pm and I will help you out if you need it. This is what this site is about!

Rich

I was out a couple nights ago. The goats in the Shirley Basin area are scattered. Seems most guys are done and gone. Must've put a walloping on the bucks because I didn't see many and the ones I did were all on the small side. Gonna be muddier than all get out with the moisture we're getting and predicted to continue to get. Supposed to get down to 10 degrees or so tomorrow night. Probably not what yer wanting to hear...

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-09 AT 07:34AM (MST)[p]Triple_BB or anyone else in the know, how quick will that moisture dry out enough to make most roads drivable? Say a period of 3 or 4 dry days?

Things will be frozen for a few days. Set a record low today and its still snowing. One below is the current temp with the wind chill. I skipped going out this afternoon due to bad roads, lots of wrecks and snow. Supposed be back in the 50's mid next week. Expect a mud hole when things start thawing...

WOW! I bet that was a delightful trip. Low at 4 degrees 4" of snow Heard from part of our group that is up there they are about froze out. We had a great trip up on the opener probably the most memorable trip ever for me.

I feel it is important to get the young people into our sport. I feel it is just as important to introduce the older generations and not leave them at home.

My Dad, Tom, is 62 years old and has never hunted a day in his life. While we have spent many of days on the water fishing. He just recently because interested in hunting. This year I talked him into getting a doe tag and tagging along with us.

hpim0997y.jpg

Because, of our schedules, We were not able to get a chance to get out and practice. Until yesterday he had never shot a rifle with a scope on it.
He had a couple of oppertunities but had a hard time finding them in the scope, the antelope were moving, or, didn't offer a shot. I could tell he was growing increasing skeptical that he would be able to close the deal.

Finally it all came together and he made a perfect shot on his first animal at 88 yards.

hpim1002.jpg

As I walked to get the truck, I thought about a friend that lost his father in law suddenly a week ago. It made the trip a little bit more special, to share a time that will forever be a part of both of us.

Later on while talking more about the hunt. He asked what kind of rifle he should buy for next year. I am happy to have a new hunting buddy. It is nice to be able to teach someone that has spent your whole life teaching you.

hpim1001z.jpg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom