Any Unit 61 Deer Success?

Phantom Hunter

Very Active Member
I would love to hear any unit 61 deer success stories. I know much of the unit and have plans and points to draw next year or two. Respond by PM if you want!

This is the biggest buck I saw all year in 61 and I spend a hell of a lot of time up there.
Pretty sad!
IMG_3860.jpeg

Spent some time in 61 during the archery hunt. Deer were nearly non-existent. Never seen anything close to a buck like the one posted above. 61 deer numbers are in the toilet.

I knew numbers were not good. Thinking of trying a third season buck/cow combo. Burned my elk points last year and found my biggest bull yet in 61. Don’t know any other units that are much better with the exception of some eastern plains private land. Getting long in the tooth for a flatlander trying to hunt high country.

My friend from Calif. semi-guided, cooked, etc. for 3 hunters he did the same for 17 years ago. They camped down low and saw nothing. Jim thought the deer were still up high so they made a trip up the switchback on Campbell point to the divide road then down to Nucla. Only saw 2 fork horns and a small 3 point.

17 years to get that 3rd season tag and they went home 2 days early.

Jim said that's the first time since the early 1960s He's come home without someone killing a deer.

Last year just a week before the archery season I saw a beautiful 28-inch 6x4 on the tongue where the road splits to go to Johnson basin.

I also called in with a predator call a 26–27-inch 4x4 on Campbell point.

I think they're just far and few between.

This is the biggest buck I saw all year in 61 and I spend a hell of a lot of time up there.
Pretty sad!View attachment 129009
Yep. My first hunt there we tagged 4 bucks all over 28 inches wide and one over 200. Bad winter kill that winter and the cats really took a toll. Hunted it two more times since and keeps going down. Tough knowing a unit and have it tank. 😒

My buddy got a reissue 61 3rd season buck this year. Found very few deer and killed a smallish buck. Said he'd have been extremely disappointed if the tag cost him any points.

I don't disagree, but the the percentage of the quota filled with young deer will remain relatively constant. Age class and population dynamics remain within CPW's control. People will kill what's there. Simple as that. The reality is, there won't be bigger bucks unless we further limit quotas both buck and doe. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be on the management radar here in CO.

I don't disagree, but the the percentage of the quota filled with young deer will remain relatively constant. Age class and population dynamics remain within CPW's control. People will kill what's there. Simple as that. The reality is, there won't be bigger bucks unless we further limit quotas both buck and doe. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be on the management radar here in CO.
The next 5 year season structure will be pretty telling on what’s to come.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom