Anybody hunt 76 this year?

oldmossback

My teenage son has enough points to draw 76-1st rifle elk next year before he goes off to college in another state. Was wondering how it went this year ?

The only pic I seen was posted by amarillo near the bottom of the page. I don't even recall seeing one posted on the other sites I check.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
a certain individuals response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/19864.html
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

I hunted the archery season. Lots of elk, lots of bulls. I had trouble finding anything in 300+ range, but I talked to a few guys who had better luck finding larger class animals. I saw a lot of 5 pt and small 6 pt bulls.

Having said that I did have a shot at a 350+ bull, my best guess is that he jumped the string. Still really bummed out about that, hunted 25 years for a shot at bull of that caliber and it didn't happen. I got within 100 yards of another bull in 310-320 range, not sure what spooked him. On day 17 I shot a ~260 class bull that was just barely a 6 pt, but decent sized frame, and big body. I was hoping for better, but he is my best archery elk.

It was a fun hunt, wish I could go back, but as a non-resident I will never be able to draw it a again. Really wish I had a "do-over" on the big one.

I hunted 76 on the 1st rifle season this year. First time to ever go elk hunting and I got this bull 25 minutes into opening morning. One of my sons is the foreman on a ranch in that unit. Obviously being a first time elk hunter I can't give any advice. Most of the elk were still up in the high country when I was there. Good luck to you and your son.
image_zps8871ad0f.jpg

If you decide to hunt it, PM me. I have a ton of info on the unit. It is a great hunt. I'm sure you would enjoy the area. Let me know.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom