Anybody Hunting Turkeys?

M

Model_70_Guy

Heading up to my cousins place to see if we can seal the deal on a couple of long beards.
I couldn't get up there for the opener this morning but nobody is hunting his place so we are going to give it a try tomorrow morning.

Anyone else going today?

I think guys should be required to hunt turkeys with sling shots!

I mean, special 12 gauge super full chokes, special long range shot pattern shells, scoped or red dot shotguns, even a basic shotgun, all to kill one of Gods dumbest animals put on earth, standing at 30 yds... Just too easy and other than calling them in, not too hard during the season, i just don't see the sport! :)

To each his own and i admit to have not done it, have never wanted to, myself...but not for me!

Joey

I never thought much of it myself until I tried it. It's not quite as easy as some people think and if something can go wrong when your calling in a tom it most certainly will. Domestic turkeys dumb.. wild birds not so dumb.. eyesight that is unbelievable and I am not talking about the wild birds you see feeding in peoples yards and around livestock.. If you think they are dumb try to put a sneak on one and see what happens. but as you say to each their own.

TURKEY HUNTIN IS A BLAST.......KILLED SEVERAL LAST 3-4 YEARS, WILD LEARY BIRDS ARE A CHALLENGE, THEY TASTE GOOD, & I SCOUT/HUNT HOGS AT THE SAME TIME. ITS FUN TO DO.....BUT I DONT LIKE TO WATCH IT ON MUCH ON THE HUNT CHANNELS. ALSO... THEY DONT ALWAYS COME TO THE CALLS OR DECOYS LIKE ON TELEVISION.....YD.

The Country i grew up in is crawling with wild turkey. So, guys get all duded up and put sneaks on them, or have a chest full of non-scented calls...lol. All you have to do is slam the truck door and some will gobble! The buck hunter friends i grew up with and i pretty much ignore the turkeys and being these, they are wild birds, know where the easy food's at, people feed them like deer, they'll soon be in our yards, all over us. I could see if they were highly hunted on public ground, that they could get to be and are wary but why go hunt public when there is so much private land that holds way more birds. They are a nuisance!

Plus the shooting them standing with a frigging shotgun, big sport that is...

As i said, to each his own. I just don't get it, the time i've spent in the woods is in and for pursuit of about everything else in the Cali reg's, i've just never cared to go "hunting" for a turkey.

Have fun though 70 guy!!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-10 AT 03:31AM (MST)[p] "Joey try it with a bow. It is pretty fun."

Funny that you should mention that, the guy that i went to Wy with these past years, longtime hunting partner, his wife has killed over a dozen of them with her bow. She acts like it's no big deal but i give her credit. Then again, she's also killed more and bigger bucks than most guys i know, killed the biggest wild boar, huge tusked over 400 lbs with a little .243 no less, killed a bigger kali buck then i have, gets up and hunts ducks and geese with us on the coldest days, and get outa her way when she hooks into a good fish in salt water, she works it hard! I mentioned before that she appropriated my Pards pre 64 264 WMag and won't relinquish it back to him,...on top of all that and more, she's a looker too, some gal!

I'm feeling right poorly for being so negative on 70's thread about turkey hunting. IMO, 70guy is absolutely a top of the ladder great guy, and the sport of hunting them big birds probably is a blast and much more a challenge that i let on. We just happen to have got over run with the things and personally, it never interest me myself to hunt them. My apologies!!!

Joey

So anybody who does or doesnt like or care to hunt turkeys know where my dad can go to hunt them? Just wanting to get my southern california resident father to get into hunting turkey, but if nobody likes fathers either I understand.

"Joey try it with a bow. It is pretty fun."
>
>
>I'm feeling right poorly for being
>so negative on 70's thread
>about turkey hunting. IMO, 70guy
>is absolutely a top of
>the ladder great guy, and
>the sport of hunting them
>big birds probably is a
>blast and much more a
>challenge that i let on.
>We just happen to have
>got over run with the
>things and personally, it never
>interest me myself to hunt
>them. My apologies!!!
>
>Joey

Joey, No Apologies needed... It's your opinion and I did not take that as a personal attack. That's the great thing about these forums is everybody has a difference of opinions.
Hell this would be a boring world if we all thought the same...

You are a true class act 70_guy! An example myself, and more than a few others here, would benefit to learn from!! Thank You!!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-10 AT 06:23PM (MST)[p]I think turkey hunting is much more challenging than deer hunting!

P.S. I got burned a few times yesterday.

I hunt at my cousins place and to tell you the truth I wouldn't have a any ideas where a guy would hunt turkeys if your looking for public land. Sorry couldn't be more help.

BUT I DONT
>LIKE TO WATCH IT ON
>MUCH ON THE HUNT CHANNELS.
> ALSO... THEY DONT ALWAYS
>COME TO THE CALLS OR
>DECOYS LIKE ON TELEVISION.....YD.

+1 - Dislike watching turkey hunting on tv it's about as exciting as watching bass fishing or bowling.. at least for me.

Model_70_, Well, how did you guys do? A standing turkey should be easier to hit than a flying dove.:)

Eel

>Model_70_, Well, how did you guys
>do? A standing turkey should
>be easier to hit than
>a flying dove.:)
>
>Eel

What do you mean "a flying dove?"

Do you mean shooting them out of the air???

I get a lot more dove when I wait for them to land..

Sheesh.. they are hard to hit when they are flying..

WENT TO THE RANCH YESTERDAY TO LOOK FOR SOME BIRDS, RAN INTO 18-20 HOGS.......KILLED THE BIGGEST BOAR I HAVE TAKEN IN 15 YEARS (300+ LBS). MULTI COLORED NARLY LONG HAIRED BOAR, GOT A BIG SOW ALSO......DID I HAVE A CAMERA IN MY PACK....I ALWAYS DO.....NOT YESTERDAY.......GREAT DAY THOUGH.........YD.

>>Model_70_, Well, how did you guys
>>do? A standing turkey should
>>be easier to hit than
>>a flying dove.:)
>>
>>Eel
>
>What do you mean "a flying
>dove?"
>
>Do you mean shooting them out
>of the air???
>
>I get a lot more dove
>when I wait for them
>to land..
>
>Sheesh.. they are hard to hit
>when they are flying..

Jim, LMAO! You and I should be hunting partners. I like the way you think!

YD, congrats on the hogs! How do you get a 300 pounder back to the truck? Hurts my back just thinking about it.

EEL.....I AM REALLY SORE TODAY. I GUTTED HIM, PUT MY DRAGGING HARNESS ON HIM (150 OFF NEAREST DIRT ROAD)....DRUG HIM INTO THE SHADE....GOT ON THE CELL PHONE....AND HELP ARRIVED. LIFTING HIM INTO THE TRUCK WAS HARD. THEN I DELT WITH THE SOW......... TURKEYS DRAG A BIT EASIER.......I NEED TO FIND SOME.........YD.

Sage, hunt turkeys up here. the first few miles up 44 have some. I've seen sign, heard of guys seein em in the Goat burn, never seen one myself. That's a half hour from you.

>>>Model_70_, Well, how did you guys
>>>do? A standing turkey should
>>>be easier to hit than
>>>a flying dove.:)
>>>
>>>Eel
>>
>>What do you mean "a flying
>>dove?"
>>
>>Do you mean shooting them out
>>of the air???
>>
>>I get a lot more dove
>>when I wait for them
>>to land..
>>
>>Sheesh.. they are hard to hit
>>when they are flying..
>
>Jim, LMAO! You and I should
>be hunting partners. I like
>the way you think!

Steve, I was thinking we should pair up this coming dove season and use my mojo dove decoy and if we can get the dove to land next to it I'll bet we could both get a limit of dove with no more than 2 or 3 boxes of shells apiece if we pick our shots carefully. It could work... What do you think?

Jim

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom