Anybody use a Suburban as a hunting rig?

F

Farms

What are the pro's and con's? I have a newer pick up and want something that I don't care what happens to it. There are 1997 to 1999 4X4 suburbans with less that 150K miles everywhere for $3000 to $5000 depending on miles.

All your gear, all your friends and still room for dead stuff. Its the perfect rig for posse' hunting.

I had a 1996 4X4 Suburban and it worked just fine for almost everything.BUT keep in mind there are some things a Suburban cannot do-like haul a 4 wheeler without a trailer,haul a bunch of 150 quart coolers,haul a couple of ladder stands,haul....well,you get my drift. A truck is just more versatile but if you use a trailer the extra inside space of a suburban is nice.

One of my early mentors in hunting for trophy bucks had a old red and white early 60's, i think, GMC 4X4 Suburban, don't know that that's what they called it back then, all set up for offroad including really tall thin full directional tires and a huge bumper mounted PTO winch. He'd head out for the Jackson Hole area every single year and hunt hard right outa that old rig.

Most years he'd be gone over a month. I later hunted Colo a couple times with him as part of a 4 man group but we didn't take his rig. He also hunted our property with me many times. I only ever saw him shoot 1 deer in all those, maybe 25, years or even heard of him shooting at an animal. With him, it was go big or go home empty and yes, he came home empty most every year.

Joey

A suburban would be a nice hunting rig cause you could sleep in it if you had to. I just picked one up last week for the wife, 2004 fully loaded LT. (I don't think she will let me take it hunting.
1744hardware_ranch_2010_035.jpg

I will have to keep driving my 2001 diesel.
610car_truck_pics_008.jpg

I sold a 2000 Suburban last year that had 105,000 miles. I was so happy to get rid of that piece of crap. When it had about 45,000 miles on it the thing broke down on me over and over again. 2 fuel pumps, water pump and thermostat, electronic issue with the turn signal lever (genuine GM part over $600 for the part, emergency brake brackets broke, serpentine belt broke, brake line broke and sprayed brake fluid all over the serpentine belt, and the ABS had an electonic issue that two different shops (1 of them a dealership) tried to fix. They tried for over 6 months; they called in the GM regional rep over electronics/computers to fix it. He "fixed" it twice. I finally knocked another $1000 dollars off the price and sold it as is. There were lots of other little issues as well. I know a lot of people that have had good luck with them, but seeing that Suburban drive away was one of the best days of my life! When it didn't let me down, it was nice to have lots of inside room and passenger space.

My family used to hunt out of a suburban all the time. It was great, lots of room for the kids, guns, ice chest, and you could even bring your bed roll, if there was only two of you. Before the 74' G.M.C. we had a International Travelall. When there's lots of people that want to go, as many as six, it's the only way to go. As far as breakdowns, they always held up just fine. Heck, we've still got one a, 90' model with 90,000 miles on it. Lemons run in every brand and model so don't worry about it, GO FOR IT!
Thanks, Brownie.

Old Suburbans are great hunting rigs. This is the original Avalanche, before Chevy ruined them. Cut out 48 inches of the top, weld back up and you have the perfect SUV/Pickup - carries 6 adults, can store gun cases behind the seat or other stuff you want dry and secure. The middle seat folds down flat so you can sleep in there if it turns nasty.Really works sweet for me.

With the directional 12.50" x 35" MT Baja Claws, 4" lift and 3/4Ton suspension it goes thru anything. Tall enough to not hang up in whoop-de-dos either. Can put acouple elk or 3 deer in the bed easy.

6811img_0782.jpg

My dad had suburbans from the time I was a small kid till the present. We hunted everything out of them, and still do. He even hauled elk in them. I remember a 336" bull my cousin killed with my dad that they hauled out in the back of the burb. I don't think he'd do that with the one he has now, but it happened every year with several deer and an occasional elk.

My wife killed a nice buck this year and we happened to be hunting out of the '03 burb with the me and all the kids. After we got it back to a road, we drove up to it with the burb and we threw it on top of the luggage rack and tied it down and drove home. My wife said she was embarrassed about it and was glad it was dark by the time we hit the highway! No she wouldn't let me put it in the back like the old man used to either.

The funny thing about it is a few weels later my 2 year old son was playing deer hunter with my 8 year old son and they were taking turns being the deer or the hunter, and then gutting and dragging each other to the truck. It was the 2 year old's turn to be the hunter and my wife walked in without them seeing her just in time to watch the "hunt". She said he shot the deer, and then he said, "now I'm guttin' you and then we'll load you on the burb".

My wife thought that was way funny that the little guy remembered the deer on the burb of all things from the hunt.

We've had 4 suburban's and they've been really good except the '03 which is the one we have now. Two fuel pumps, and several electrical problems. I will probably always own a suburban, but this one is not the best one we've had.

DeerBeDead

I have a 1992 half ton 4x4 and I love it. It has gone every where I wanted it to. It's like a pick up but you can keep every thing clean and dry.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

I hear you Troutsniffer, my wife had a 2000 Yukon and a 2003 Tahoe which are both pretty much the same as a suburban as far as the drive train goes.

Both were the biggest pieces of crap ever. blown trans at 35000, bunch of 4X4 problems, fuel pumps on both of them. Lots of other stuff too. When the tow truck showed to pick the Yukon up when the trans blew he said "let me guess, the transmission right".

Ever noticed how many GMC, or Chevy trucks make squalling noise. Thats the fuel pump on it's last leg.

They are my all around favorite rig.

The one I have now has 250,000 miles on it.

People who think that Subs have more mechanical problems than trucks are just plain silly.....what could possibly be different?

When I was a young man, we had International Travelalls on the ranch and other than doing most of the haul work with trucks, the "harvest queen" could pull all the trailers, safely pack all our hunting gear, and 4x4 with the best of them.

I cannot tell you how many dead things have been in my sub, over the years.

Every rig has it's positives and negatives, but you can make up your own mind.....choices.

I'm glad to read this thread because lately I've been thinking of getting a late 90's suburban myself. Hearing the mechanical problems brought back memories of my 93gmc pickup. It was a nightmare. Nothing like a good reality bitchslap to wake me up. Everything always looks better on paper than in reality. No wonder these 'burbs are so cheap.

I'm already wearing my firesuit 'cause I'm sure the chevy fanboys are about to flame me.

The company that I used to work on had 3 '93 Subs, and we never had a lick of problems w/them band they got driven hard. I blew a 454 up at 128K (right after I ran it up to a hundred. Its brothers went to 150...in fact they all went to 150 before they sold them. You cannot beat a 350.

If I was buying a Sub, I'd be getting the old body style (up to '91 or '92) w/the straight axle front end. You can get everything in a sub that you can in a PU, if it has a rack on top. In fact, I'd be looking for a '87 or newer, w/tbi and a 700R4 (which is a great trans)...3/4 ton. They made some that had a TH400 trans in em (my friend has one). The last time he drove up here from TX, he said that he got 15, and he was, "Whipping and spurring the whole way." His has 35s, or taller on it and it is his hotel...no back seats, but he has a mattress in there. He also come w/2 125 qt or larger ice chests, in order to take his critter home.

John 14:6

My biggest gripe with hunting out of a burb is what ever you kill will sit in the cab with you the rest of the day and stays warm. (if your heater works)

My Dad has a 90 gmc sub. 3/4 ton with the 350. Custom gun rack bolted to the console in the front, Gun racks hang'in off the back of the front seats for the guys riding in back. When there's just two of us we pull the back seat out and sleep in the back. Its been a great hunt'in rig and we don't ever gotta worry about putting a scatch or dent in it! We've had numerous animals ride along with us! We've stuffed both deer and elk in the back! Just take a tarp to wrap it in, that's worked good for us. Pro's and cons... the 87-91 body style doesn't dent as easy as the later 90's!!! Subs are definatly heavier than a truck which, for climbing they get a better grip. But when the roads get muddy and your headed down hill, its a little different story... But it hasn't been a problem yet! The later 90's have a smoother ride but also more moving parts to break. With the sub you can lock your belongings inside while your out hunting, which in todays world, stealing is getting to be alot more common. But if someones going to steal your stuff a window ain't much from stopping them. We've loved our rig... Good luck!

They hold a ton of gear and people. They also have alot of room to sleep in with the back seats removed.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom