Anyone ever called bears?

moseleymiddleton

I dont have time to run a bear bait due to working out of town. So i thought i would try to call in a bear this spring. If anyone has any pointers on how long to sit in a stand, types of calls that work, and if you would recomend trying to get one with archery while calling a bear in. I would also like to know is where do you make a stand? I know of a few ridges that hold bears during the later fall season due to i have seen them and seen there sighn while deer and elk hunting. Will the still be on the same ridges in the spring? how far would you move between stands? Any info would be appreciated.

Moseley Middleton

Get the DVD and call made by Wayne Carlton. My friend used one last year and had to shoot a nice bear in "self defense" last year at 15 yards with his bow! He said it was a rush! It was his 1st call set up and 1st time ever calling bears. Works great if a bear is nearby.

Did it by accident elk hunting. Gave a few cow calls to a "shape" walking away and it turned right around. My "elk" turned out to be a fairly large bear.

Yep,...I do believe that it works in the right time and place. I was elk hunting in NM in unit 9 before the land swap, my buddy and I were taking a break under a big cedar and saw a monster of a bear out in the wide open just moseying along doing what bear do, it wasn't bear season, of course, so I decided to have some fun with him,....I had a cow call and made a few chirps as high pitched as I could to sound like a calf,...he looked our way, he was maybe 100 yards from us, thought about it for a second and started moving on, I would call to him each time he moved and you could tell he wanted to check it out but must have had a full belly,.....I guess it was just too far to walk for him. I got a real kick out of it though...and I saw that calling could entice a bear to move your way. So YES, by all means it can work.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom