anyone kill an elk in unit 77 this year

otcbowhunter

I bowhunted this unit in 08 and had several incounters with good bulls. Went back this year and hunted the last two weeks and had very poor results. Not much sign, bulls, cows or hunters. What Happened? Winter kill? Over hunting? Too much pressure? I was packed in 5 or 6 miles so it's not like I road hunted. Any thoughts on this would be great. Thanks

I have family that rifle hunted 3rd and saw 0 elk. They are usually successful.

I had a similar experience as did several others I know in other units. I hunted the same unit in first rifle season and we saw plenty of elk. The one common factor that I think might have contributed to the poor later bow season was the very warm and dry weather. For me, I think the elk may have been higher than normal as I usually don't go too high in the area that I hunt as they tend to be lower in elevation. I saw and heard a lot more activity early in the bow season which is somewhat flip-flopped compared to more typical experiences.

Thanks for the input. We were plenty high enough. Started at around 9000ft and went up to 11-12000ft. I learned not to trust the DOW stats for any OTC area. I think they are afraid that if they give any one unit a better % of success that the area would be overrun with people. I was hoping that the elk simply didn't return to this area for no reason other than the grass was greener on the other side. I like the area but, being a NR I can't afford to scout the area before I hunt it and don't want to invest the time scouting/learning a new area. Maybe I'll give it a year or two before I return. Thanks again.

Our group hunted the fourth hunt , there were 11 of us split up into 2 groups some in unit 77 some in unit 78, the group in 77 didnt see any thing for the first 3 days, the group of us in 78 saw 19 elk, bulls and cows the first day, nothing the rest of the week. No deer, no elk, nothing. The group in unit 77 filled one tag the last day of the hunt. Some of our group were residents , some non-residents. We usually do a lot better in 77. I heard they were doing a lot of logging in that unit before the hunts started . We're going back in 2011 so I hope that's all it was . A few of us are going up in mid-summer to hike in , do some fishing and see what we can see.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom