Anyone seeing wolves in 39?

Kentuck

Leaving tomorrow night to get the jump on the drive to Idaho. We saw a lot of sign last year but didn't hear or see any wolves last year. Anyone seeing any there? Saw something on the DFG website that they collared a couple of wolves north of Idaho City.

Thanks,
Kentuck

I saw them at about 200 yards on a side hill, they were in no hurry to leave. Could explain the lack of deer in that canyon, I just love busting my butt to get way back in a canyon to watch wolves. Hot as hell up there today too.

-Hghcountry

We were up by rattlesnake and didn't see any wolves but lots of cougar tracks. Too dang hot and dry for hunting and felt lucky to come out with two small bucks. Hunted 4 days and that was the only bone we saw, lots of does just needed weather and some rut. Good luck to those still looking. nwhunter

I haven't seen any wolves this year yet either.

Speaking of mountain lions though, in Unit 39, October 5th, my younger brother happened across a spike bull elk wearing a cougar necklace.

He was riding his atv down a logging road when he spotted an elk's butt sticking out of some thick buck brush. It's hind legs were on the road about 40 yards ahead of him around a bend. The elk was kicking his back legs out behind it. My brother turned off his atv and walked up the road to get a better look at what the heck was wrong with this elk. He thought it strange the elk hadn't run off yet.

He closed to within 20 yards when he saw that a mountain lion had a death grip on this bull's neck! He pulled his pistol out of his holster wondering what to do. He didn't have a cougar tag, the pistol was mainly for protection at this distance. The bull fell over onto the ground with the cougar on top of it. After the initial shock of witnessing something probably very few people have a chance to see, he eventually yelled out "hey!".

The cougar let go, jumped off the elk, and lept down the mountain. The elk got up and staggered off down the road like a drunken sailor. We figure the cougar caught up with his prey later in the morning and finished it off.

I've hunted elk in this area for years. Seen cougars on gut piles and even found a cougar eating our elk when we went in to pack it out. Anybody with dogs and a tag pm me if you're interested.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom