Anyone use a .54 caliber anymore?

AZBuckSnort

Very Active Member
Seems like all we ever see anymore is .50 cal with some .45 cal action. Doesn't anyone shoot the .54 caliber anymore? If not, why?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-04 AT 11:36AM (MST)[p]Since the advent of the original Knight inline, the push is on for more bullet speed/accuracy & smaller calibers provide that. Maybe that's why the typical/best selling centerfire bullet is between .25 & .30 caliber.

I own a 58-cal T/C Renegade slow twist model. Lately, since I scoped it, I now prefer to use it over my T/C Omega. Much-much bigger hole -- almost twice the grain-sized bullet. I use it for closer/tighter quarters.... the Omega for open fields & hill-tops.

............."KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY FELLAS".............

I shoot a Lyman GPR in .54 caliber. Those roundballs hammer the critters real hard. I also have a TC Encore 209x50, but the Lyman is my weapon of choice. I carry it for deer and elk.

Weasel, I have 3 buddies plus myself/son who still use T/C 54 cal M.L. Big bullets(we have to use lead where I live) have had great luck with them on both deer and elk.

Yes, I also have a 54cal. roundball rifle. I also have a 54cal. fast twist inline set up to use in a state where only soild lead conicals are allowed.

Greg

I have a .54 and a .58, but I'm looking at jumping on the .50 bandwagon with a new omega.

I still have an old .54 as a back up but switched to the 50 caiber a few years ago for the reasons 777 suggested.

My wife and I use T/C Thunderhawks (light, short barrelled/medium twist) 54's with T/C peep sights. With Barnes Expander 275 grain/50 cal bullets in 54 cal sabots, 90 grains of FFF 777 and 209 primers, they work great on deer and elk out to 100 yds. They also shoot the 300 grain REAL bullets backed with Maxi Patches extremely well for states that don't allow sabots. We are in an iron sight state so haven't seen any reason to switch to rifles that can kill further than we can accurately aim with our 55+ eyes...although I certainly tempted by T/C Encore line.

I mostly bowhunt but still have a T/C Hawken in .54 caliber. I killed a decent 4x3 3 years ago. Shot him at 106 yards with 90 grains of pyrodex behind a 275 grain Barnes MZ bullet. I love to shoot that gun. Slow twist barrel but it shoots very well. I recently bought a .50 Cal CVA Optima Pro but have yet to hunt with it. It shoots well but I love that Hawken!

Chad

I have a .54 cal T/C Hawken. I took a nice 5x5 bull w/ it 2 years ago and missed a nice 6x6 this past year. I'm used the miss as an excuse to move to the .50 cal Omega (it doesn't take much for me to find a good excuse to upgrade equipment :)). I'm looking forward to the ignition benefits of the 209 primer, the weather proofness of the breach locking mechanism, and being able to push out my loads vs. firing them off after a few days in the CO wilderness (although, that precaution may not be necessry given the 2 points above). I'm also hoping for a little more accuracy from the 1/28 vs. 1/60 twist and the improved sights. Just bought the Omega yesterday! :)

Theodore Roosevelt once said, "The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value."
logo_pub.jpg

I have an old "Green Mountain" barrel for my sidelock CVA in .54 caliber. The rifle originally came with a .50 barrel (which I still use), but I kind of like the heavy charge of the .54. I guess it's just something about touching off that thunder and hanging on...lol Kicks like a mule and drops like a rock, but it does take care of business when it connects.

My buddy and I both shoot .54 Knights. Wouldn't think of shooting elk with anything less and they also do a great job on the deer. We have only used sabots but this year I'm going to play with some lead conicals.

I shoot a TC Thunderhawk .54cal. I'm shooting 777 and TC 430gr maxi balls right now. But I am going try some other conicals soon. My state doesn't allow sabots or scopes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom