Anyone Watch "Long Range Pursuit"

twsnow18

The caliber choice thread got me thinking about ballistics. I stumbled across this show on the wild tv channel and am pretty hooked.

They seem to actually know what they are doing and how to ethically take shots over 500 yards. In one of the episodes a guy takes a bull at 1,097 yards and absolutely stoned it. I watched all of the episodes and they take various animals between 500-1000 yards and almost every single one was a 1 shot kill. The guys' 15 year old daughter takes a monster ram at 550 with 1 shot. She called it a "chip-shot" literally right before she took the shot. I figured she was bs'ing. A lot of people could learn quite a bit from these guys.

The thing I don't like though, is that it's almost like a disappointment to them if the shot is closer than 500 yards and they lack in their stalking skills. I think that long range shooting and stalking close are both art forms.

While shooting that far is impressive, they are not going to show you the shots that they wound the animal and never find it again.

>IMO 300+ yard shots is not
>considered hunting

Completely disagree. Getting close is part of the sport and part of the fun to me definitely but I don't believe you wouldn't take a 900 yard shot at a 400" bull if you had the legitimate ability to do so. After you made the shot and killed the bull, would you consider it not hunting?

this season there was an episode of the Best of the West filmed in wyoming. the opening sequence showed several minutes of a 380ish or better bull and then they cut to an interview with the hunter who claimed he passed the bull because it wasnt big enough. (no one in their right mind would pass that bull on public land in wyoming) About a month later i saw one of their commercials showing the same bull with the same dead tree in the background get shot a little far back and fall. You could tell he was trying to get back up when they cut away to another clip...kinda fishy how that shot didnt make it in the original episode. my guess is he got to his feet and they never found him.
go try and put three shots in a pie plate at 900yards from a bench rest. im currently pushing a bullet with a b.c. in the .8s and its a lot more difficult than it looks on tv. i can do it at 700 all day long, but beyond that gets tricky quick.

Nope I still feel the same. How is it hunting? I watch shows with people driving out to a field, then walking to a field and watching deer from 1000 yards away. Then they walk to within 500 yards and shoot a buck. They all say they had a tough hunt lol.

not hunting what so ever

Just not into the long range stuff, not really fair chase.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-12 AT 10:09AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-12 AT 09:38?AM (MST)

>>IMO 300+ yard shots is not
>>considered hunting
>
>
>Completely disagree. Getting close is part
>of the sport and part
>of the fun to me
>definitely but I don't believe
>you wouldn't take a 900
>yard shot at a 400"
>bull if you had the
>legitimate ability to do so.
>After you made the shot
>and killed the bull, would
>you consider it not hunting?
>

I would not have killed it. Hunting and long ranging are a different skill set. I like to hunt.

Well dang it!!! If I woulda known the 203" buck I killed at 620 yards really wasn't considered "hunting" I wouldn't have shot.

Now I have a POS mount on my wall that means nothing and really wasn't hunted because it was killed 300 yards further than some feel is ethical. DAMN

I do see you're point but... I have a 203" Buck that I killed with a traditional muzzleloader at 40yds after a 4hr bellycrawl stock. I wouldn't have it any other way.
I cannot describe to you the pride I felt when he stood out of his bed and I shot.

Justin

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-12 AT 10:28PM (MST)[p]
I can tell you this... The buck I killed would not mean any more to me shot at 400, 300, 200 or 40 yards! I hunted this buck the year before but he broke off his whole left antler. I spent the whole off season thinking about what if's... Next year I spent 4 days hunting before I turned him up. I got as close as I could across the canyon. Thick ceder country wouldn't allow any closer. One shot is all it took and my 2 year quest was over.
Yes I 100% agree you need to get as close as possible! But, for someone to say anything over 300 yards isn't really hunting blah blah is BS. I am more of a bow hunter. I love up close and personal and I have killed bigger elk with my bow than I have with my rifle or muzz. But, if I'm hunting and find the buck or bull of my dreams, I don't care if he is 10 yards or 400.

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-12
>AT 10:28?PM (MST)

>
>
>I can tell you this...
>The buck I killed would
>not mean any more to
>me shot at 400, 300,
>200 or 40 yards!
>I hunted this buck the
>year before but he broke
>off his whole left antler.
>I spent the whole off
>season thinking about what if's...
>Next year I spent 4
>days hunting before I turned
>him up. I got as
>close as I could across
>the canyon. Thick ceder country
>wouldn't allow any closer.
> One shot is all
>it took and my 2
>year quest was over.
> Yes I
>100% agree you need to
>get as close as possible!
>But, for someone to say
>anything over 300 yards isn't
>really hunting blah blah is
>BS. I am more
>of a bow hunter. I
>love up close and personal
>and I have killed bigger
>elk with my bow than
>I have with my rifle
>or muzz. But, if
>I'm hunting and find the
>buck or bull of my
>dreams, I don't care if
>he is 10 yards or
>400.

Completely agree! Congrats to both of you on your trophies! It's all hunting to me. I did the stalk then belly crawl thing from 1800 vertical feet and 3/4 of a mile below to shoot my bull this year at 240 yards. Archery bulls at 10 yards intrigue me just as much as a 620 yard shot, so to say it's not hunting if the shot is past 300 is bull chit. Legit long range shooters hone their skills just as the rest of us do with our stalking skills.

Not really because 10% of you guys actually practice and do the belly crawl thing.

The rest litterally do not hunt.

The deer dont have a chance if everyone starts shooting out past 500 yards

I don't know what some people's fasination with putting their rifle up a deer's corn hole and then pulling the trigger is???

I love to bow hunt. I love getting close. I also LOVE to rifle hunt because I can take an animal I otherwise wouldn't be able to due to "impossible stalks" etc.

to each his own!

Just got back from a hunt in Wyoming,and watched my friend shoot a cow elk at 956 yards with a 6mm.Ackley Improved with a 107 grain Match grade bullet, two shots two hits! Not saying i'm going to run out an get one,but it was an experience to witness that shot.

How much energy did that 6mm bullet have left at 950 yards? I would also have multiple other questions but the answer to the first one will say it all.

Semper Fi

>Just got back from a hunt
>in Wyoming,and watched my friend
>shoot a cow elk at
>956 yards with a 6mm.Ackley
>Improved with a 107 grain
>Match grade bullet, two shots
>two hits! Not saying i'm
>going to run out an
>get one,but it was an
>experience to witness that shot.
>

If that's all true it just goes to show that you don't need a large caliber to kill elk. Wayyy too many people try to compensate for accuracy with ft lbs. of energy.

I have harvested many elk with a 25-06. Most were one shot. I shot a Bull with a 300 Weatherby 5 times. He didn't die any faster. Bullet placement is way more critical than bullet weight or foot pounds of energy. Those just give a bigger tolerance for less than ideal shots. My first deer was 550 yrds, pure luck. As an experienced hunter I shot an Antelope at 600 yrds in a 30 mile per hour wind with one shot from a 243. I have also shot at least 10 other Antelope less than 100 yrds. I'm good with how ever anyone else wants to hunt, shoot, or fling an arrow. What I see is the divide between each kind of hunter. We had better get our act together as they are coming for each of us one at a time.

DZ

I have harvested many elk with a 25-06. Most were one shot. I shot a Bull with a 300 Weatherby 5 times. He didn't die any faster. Bullet placement is way more critical than bullet weight or foot pounds of energy. Those just give a bigger tolerance for less than ideal shots. My first deer was 550 yrds, pure luck. As an experienced hunter I shot an Antelope at 600 yrds in a 30 mile per hour wind with one shot from a 243. I have also shot at least 10 other Antelope less than 100 yrds. I'm good with how ever anyone else wants to hunt, shoot, or fling an arrow. What I see is the divide between each kind of hunter. We had better get our act together as they are coming for each of us one at a time.
DZ

My brother can shoot long distance and at 600 yds he can blow up milk jug consistent. More power to him. Is amazing watching it. I can shoot my bow better than him so in a past life he was a cowboy and I was an Indian. Just works that way. I cant shoot long distance so more power to who can.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom