Aoudad Hunt

mistertwister

Has anyone ever hunted aoudad. Is it comparable in experience like a sheep hunt as they say. Also any outfitter you would reccomend?

Thanks

I've never been on an official hunt, but did chase them for a day in texas while looking at land. These were free range Audads in the devils river area of south/west texas. I wouldn't compare it to hunting bighorns - mostly because of the terrain. But I imagine in other areas it could be. They are very cool animals. Sorry I don't have a recommendation but I do think you would enjoy the hunt.

WYmoose

I have hunted them for years in West Texas and NM and think they are as wary as any big game animal you can hunt. They make a great trophy and a great hunt. I call it the poor man's desert Big Horn hunt. But I would guess that the Aoudad (Barbary) is actually more difficult to stalk.

Bad news is that I have never heard of or met someone that has enjoyed eating a mature Aoudad.

I have never hunted the Aoudad sheep but I would like to hunt free-ranging Aoudad some day. I have no doubt that they are wary critters and some areas have sparse populations.

With that said, I have hunted other wild sheep over a dozen times and they are usually 10-14+ day hunts. The Aoudad hunts are 5 days (if I have my facts straight). They are either easier to hunt or more plentiful or the hunt would need to be 10 days as well. Just a thought....

I'd still like to hunt one.

Zeke

>Bad news is that I have
>never heard of or met
>someone that has enjoyed eating
>a mature Aoudad.

The owner of a place we hunted in Texas told us that Aoudad meat is not even fit for dogs.

sent ya pm of a outfitter in texas. Good luck shot a decent one a few years back. Yes it is a very challenging hunt. Good luck in your quest!

>
>>Bad news is that I have
>>never heard of or met
>>someone that has enjoyed eating
>>a mature Aoudad.
>
>The owner of a place we
>hunted in Texas told us
>that Aoudad meat is not
>even fit for dogs.

That was about 10 years ago, and now that I think about it, I believe it was a small publication from the state that said that.

Meat is okay. Better than ibex. Not as good as deer or elk. Perfectly fine in burger and sausage.

I think some people say the meat is real bad because they are to lazy to pack it out. This comment is not being made against anyone that posted, it is my opinion from others I have spoke to.

They are addicting to hunt. On public land in NM it is a very difficult hunt. Wife and I got our rams last year, but, it has taken years of scouting and melting your eyes behind glass and worn out boots.

There are some good private hunts around.

> Meat is okay. Better
>than ibex. Not as good
>as deer or elk.
>Perfectly fine in burger and
>sausage.
>
>I think some people say the
>meat is real bad because
>they are to lazy to
>pack it out. This
>comment is not being made
>against anyone that posted, it
>is my opinion from others
>I have spoke to.
>
>They are addicting to hunt.
>On public land in NM
>it is a very difficult
>hunt. Wife and I
>got our rams last year,
>but, it has taken years
>of scouting and melting your
>eyes behind glass and worn
>out boots.
>
>There are some good private hunts
>around.

X2

I have never had issues with it. I use a smoker and some good rubs.

> Meat is okay. Better
>than ibex. Not as good
>as deer or elk.
>Perfectly fine in burger and
>sausage.
>
>I think some people say the
>meat is real bad because
>they are to lazy to
>pack it out. This
>comment is not being made
>against anyone that posted, it
>is my opinion from others
>I have spoke to.
>
>They are addicting to hunt.
>On public land in NM
>it is a very difficult
>hunt. Wife and I
>got our rams last year,
>but, it has taken years
>of scouting and melting your
>eyes behind glass and worn
>out boots.
>
>There are some good private hunts
>around.

my wife and i drew tags for new mexico.Would you know a good spot we could start from?Thanks, Larry

Have only eaten meat from young ewe, but it was excellent. Grilled it with a raspberry chipolte sauce. Have heard from others the rams make a decent chili meat or tacos.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-11 AT 11:14AM (MST)[p]I've killed four barbarys on five DIY hunts. I disagree with those that say they are not good eating--makes me wonder what they did to screw it up. In my mind they're very similar in taste to a corn-fed whitetail, although the big rams can be significantly tougher, but they make really good jerky.

What I've found really curious about barbarys is how often I observe them hanging out with desert muleys. The buck I shot this year was hanging out with five other deer and about 23 barbarys (the closest barbary being inside 10' from the buck). I've observed ewes and does licking each other. My guess is that deer rely on the barbarys' superior eyesight, and the barbarys rely on the deers' superior hearing and sense of smell. Makes them very difficult to get inside rifle range when they're hanging out together. Where I hunt, the barbarys on average are slightly bigger than the muleys.

Barbarys are tough to bring down, and their vitals are more forward than a deer--immediately behind the shoulder is probably a gut shot; hold five or six inches forward of where you would on a broadside deer. My two one-shot kills were through the neck (one from behind (300 WSM at about 100 yards), and one from the front (7mm Rem Mag at 305 yards). Broad side shots through the ribs took two shots from 7mm (inside 100 yards and still a long time to expire) on my largest ram, and three shots (300+ yards) from my 300 WSM on my smallest ram.

Where I hunt them, all of the vegetation is of a nature to stick/skewer you. I'd recommend at least 10" leather boots and chaps or brush buster pants. Otherwise, a couple hours in the field means two weeks of pulling needles out of your hide...

I drew for the Palo Duro Canyon park hunt in Texas this coming Feb., and will be having my son/my hunting partner/and Predator along. Hopefully it will be a kick ass time, with at least 4 hitting the ground!

They're a lot different then hunting Big horn IMO for one reason alone; they're intelligent. Big horns...not so much.

Son

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom