Archery, Bull, Unit #6B

D

Don

I drew this unit and was wondering if anyone had any background/experience in 6B or may be interested in coming along on the hunt?

Go scout. If you put in for a unit you know nothing about plan on a lot of scouting. Or research a good recipe for tag soup.

Don, stick with Dogs suggestion but here is some info from the G&F Site........

Game Management Unit 6B - Updated October 2012

Additional Hunting Unit Report pages

- Region I - Pinetop
- Region IV - Yuma

- Region II - Flagstaff
- Region V - Tucson

- Region III - Kingman
- Region VI - Mesa

Species within this unit:

Antelope
Black Bear
Elk
Javelina
Merriam's Turkey
Mule Deer
White-tailed Deer

New USFS Travel Management Rule: The Coconino National Forest has implemented new travel management rules resulting in changes to motor vehicle access on national forest lands. These changes include motorized big game retrieval, road closures and camping restrictions. Travel Management Rule only allows motorized use on designated roads, trails and areas as identified on a Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM). These maps are available for free at Forest Service offices and at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/landmanagement/projects/?cid=stelprdb5356224 . Because of the Forest rule changes, only motorized retrieval of elk is permitted in Game Management Unit 6B. Motorized retrieval of all other wildlife, including all other big game species, is not permitted on national forest lands in Game Management Unit 6B. For further information regarding the Travel Management Rule, please contact the Coconino National Forest.

Unit Boundaries
Beginning at mp 188.5 on I-40 at a point just north of the east boundary of Camp Navajo; south along the eastern boundary of Camp Navajo to the southeastern corner of Camp Navajo; southeast approximately 1/3 mile through the forest to the forest road in section 33; southeast on that forest road to FR 231 (Woody Mountain Road); easterly on FR 231 to FR 533; southerly on FR 533 to 89A; southerly on 89A to the Verde River; northerly along the Verde River to Sycamore Creek; northeasterly along Sycamore Creek and Volunteer Canyon to the southwest corner of the Camp Navajo boundary; northerly along the western boundary of Camp Navajo to the northwest corner of Camp Navajo; continuing north to I-40 (mp 180.0); easterly along I-40 to mp 188.5.

Species Information back to top

Antelope
Overview: Game Management Unit 6B supports limited pronghorn numbers, which occur in two subpopulations.

6B North Hunt Unit- Archery Only
This herd occupies the upland meadows (Fry Park, Yellow Flat, and Rogers Lake) and intervening ponderosa pine forest southwest of Flagstaff. These pronghorn antelope are a herd element of the Garland Prairie population.
Areas: Rogers Lake - Yellow Flat/Mill Park - Fry Park: This area can be accessed by Forest Road 231 (Woody Mountain Road) from Flagstaff. The pronghorn may be difficult to locate because they spend much time in forested areas that are more typical habitat for elk and deer.

6B South Hunt Unit- General
The other group inhabits desert grassland and savanna habitat in the Verde Valley.
Areas: Wheatfield - Duff Flat- Windmill Flat: This area can be accessed by FR 525 (Red Canyon Road) and FR 131 (Sycamore Canyon Road) north and northeast of Clarkdale. These pronghorn can also be difficult to locate when they are occupying the juniper-pinyon savanna habitat.

Elk
Overview: The northern half of the unit provides quality elk habitat. The vertical escarpment of the Mogollon Rim west of Sedona divides the upland forested plateau from the Verde Valley. In the spring-summer-fall period elk tend to concentrate in the open meadows at Fry Park, Mill Park and Rogers Lake. The elk tend to winter in adjoining canyon habitat at lower elevations. These canyon habitats feature dense chaparral and juniper pinyon woodlands mixed with small savannas. Extreme wet road and soil conditions during the elk season may require local or general restrictions and/or road closures that reduce access to the unit for hunting.

The unit includes a diversity of access options. Sycamore Canyon Wilderness and Red Rock-Secret Mountain Wilderness feature spectacular rugged canyon topography. Access in wilderness is limited to foot or horseback travel. Camp Navajo, operated by the Arizona National Guard, allows limited civilian access to permitted big game hunters. Woody Ridge Quiet Area in the northeast quarter of the unit restricts access by motor vehicles, although ongoing timber harvest currently necessitates vehicle intrusion. Bicycles are legal in the Quiet Area but are illegal in wilderness.

Elk can be located throughout the conifer forests of the plateau during the September-October period. Disturbance during a hunting season can temporarily relocate specific herd units into the many minor canyon systems and the Quiet Area. As the breeding season ends and snow begins to accumulate many of the bulls move to winter habitat along the rim of Sycamore Canyon and into the canyon itself. Cow and calf herds follow the bulls into winter habitat in response to increasing snowfall accumulations.

Areas: Fry Park - Harding Point - Howard Pocket: These areas are located north of the West Fork Canyon and can be accessed from Forest Road (FR) 535. The areas contain canyon and dry meadow habitat and produce elk observations throughout the fall hunt period.

L.O. Pocket - Sliker Hill - Dutton Hill: This area is located in the northwest quarter of the unit and can be accessed by FR 231 (Woody Mountain Road) from Flagstaff. Many elk from Camp Navajo utilize this general area when snow accumulation displaces them from summer habitat on the military base.

Woody Ridge: This area is accessed from FR 231 and offers an alternative to high hunter densities and vehicle disturbance factors especially during the archery season. (See note in Overview relative to timber action)

Sycamore Canyon - Casner Mountain: This area is located along the western boundary of the unit. The terrain is very rugged and recovery of a downed elk is difficult. Horse and/or mule assistance is recommended. The wilderness area provides high quality hunting during the general bull season. Heavy snow accumulation can make vehicle access to the canyon rim trailheads difficult. Several outfitter/guides service hunts into the area.

I have hunted this unit for your same hunt and would be pleased to help. Sorry for the unusual time of reply, but company has me traveling in Europe this year. You need to scout for sure, as year activities of the bull elk change (where are the girls hanging out!). I can supply some starting points, but you will have to do some work in this unit!! Please email me at [email protected] (if you wish) and I'll provide some information.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom