Archery Dilema...HELP!

FishlakeElkHunter

Very Active Member
I have been debating on if I should ask this or not, but I think I will anyway.

I used to hunt Archery a lot years ago. With family and career it kind of got lost in the shuffle and I have not shot a bow for several years and no longer own one. I have missed it, but time seems to me a major issues with Archery and I just don't have it.

I have just been offered an AMAZING opportunity to go and hunt Whitetails in PA. This is an 1800 acre farm in Central PA that is VERY hard if not impossible to get permission to hunt on. They regularly kill 140" plus bucks on this property. Getting permission to hunt was a dream I hoped for..but thought would take me YEARS! Well to make a long story short...I have been invited to hunt the first two weeks in November in PEAK RUT!....but.....it is ARCHERY ONLY!!!

Now....that brings me to my current problem. What do I do??? I am not sure if I should go buy a bow and get shooting NOW...try and borrow a bow (not sure how much archery I will do) or look into a crossbow?? You can hunt with a crossbow in PA.

I just am not sure what to do. I would really think about buying a bow, but spending $500-700 on a new bow...for one hunt! Yikes. Borrowing a bow?!?! Not sure....Find a Crossbow to borrow?!? Do I just break down and buy a bow....and hide it from the wife?!? ha

What would you guys do in my situation???

Don't miss out on an opportunity, especially if you don't feel like you will be able to swing something similar easily. Look on KSL, find a used bow, shoot it the next two months and go friggin kill it in PA.

you can buy, good used bows on KSL.com that are set up and ready to shoot for 300-400$, ya they might not be top of the line brand new stuff but will zip an arrow through a whitetail all the same. plus with the little money you have invested in a used bow, to turn around and sell it wouldn't be a big deal. also it might get the bug buzzin in you again and might start a new chapter of hunting so keeping the bow might not be a bad idea. it also opens new opportunities to hunt archery tags across the states.

"Shoot Straight"

buy a decent used bow. you dont have to shoot for hours everyday. shoot 5 mins everyday or whatever. im sure you can make the time to shoot for an hour a week. im sure the plane ticket will cost more then the bow anyway

I have a bow you are welcome to use. I got it in partial trade for a dog I had trained. With my bad shoulder I probably won't be able to shoot it any more. 29" draw length, 70 pound draw weight, three pin site, set up and ready to go.

Don't go! Send me and If I like it I'll let you go next time...I'll even let you take my new bow. :)

Traditional >>>------->

FLEH!

I've got a Recurve you can Borrow!

I'll keep things warm while you're gone!:D

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

I can bring up my Hoyt. We should be about the same draw length. It is all sighted in and shoots great. Hoyt Alpha max with the best of everything on it. Only a couple years old and shot very little. If that one doesn't fit . Chads Hoyt is a little shorter draw length then mine. I shot a cross bow a little and I like my bow alot better. We have got you covered ! Just take both of them and see what feels better to you. Or next time you fly out of St. George we can go to the indoor range.Get a bow flex or something and start pulling it back .Your going to feeling like a whimp when you cant pull my bow back ;-)

WOW! Thanks for all the offers and the PM's. You guys are awesome!....well except Bessy...gonna make you start paying some bills buddy! haha

Everyone has been a LOT of help. I am pretty excited about the opportunity. The place I am going to be hunting is the Owner of the Company that I work for. We have over 1000 employees and there is a waiting list 15 years long of people that have wanted to get permission to hunt this place. I was traveling with him this week when he made the offer and told me I am welcome every year....I just can not tell anyone in the Company or I might get lynched! haha He said that he saw a 12 point buck last week that would go over 150" It is 1800 acres and only 4 people hunt it every year, and only archery. He said that going for a ride last week he saw over 200 deer! I guess in the rut and where you sit in the tree stands that any shot I will have will not be over 25 yards and most likely less!!

Thanks for the offer Todd and John....You guys are great. Maybe I can get us all on every year. Let me work on that!!!

Buy a good bow because after you kill a nice whitetail you will be hooked again.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

If you don't plan on getting back into archery full time, then I would go with a crossbow. I could see a pure archer not enjoying it, but I think a rifle hunter would. It will take less time to get used to. A bunch of my friends have been getting crossbows in PA. They say it's no archery hunt, but it's still pretty fun. At least one time! Don't miss the opportunity.

definitely buy a bow, no need to get a brand new one though. check out ksl, or other online classifieds. get a bow and go get it tuned and set for you. shoot the next couple months and then post some pictures of your success! good luck

>crossbows are good if you have
>either a disability or a
>mangina.

Hahaha...

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

So...I am out here in PA this week. We went for a little ride tonight and checked out some Soy Bean fields and some open areas that I will be hunting. We saw about 100 deer and 5 REALLY nice bucks. It is so green a lush and thick right now we could not see a lot of the nice areas that I will be hunting, but it got me REALLY excited!

Here is a picture of some of the bucks that have come off this property in the last few years.....Oh man...I cant wait!

IMAG0254.jpg

Don't half step it...you'll kick yourself in the tail if you wind up missing a mature buck. That said you can buy good used equipment, like from KSL classfieds or here and start shooting now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom