Archery elk during a full moon?

Trad Bow 1979

All my time rifle hunting I always tried to line up my hunts for when there was the least amount of moon. This September the full moon will occur during the first half of the archery season. Obviously the rut will not be on, otherwise I would not worry about the moon phase so much. But do you guys think during the pre-rut a full moon will have a negative affect? I only ask cause I got the whole month of September for my OTC hunt in CO and I am trying to plan on when to go.

This is my experience as well. Bulls bugling within the first few days of September.

Just got back from a scouting trip up north. Heard bugles until 9:30 this morning. The early archery season is going to be money this year. 3 more weeks!

IMO i think the first full moon in september gets the bulls fired up because they can chase cows all night and into the early morning and bed up in the heat of the day. And the later hunts they go into a nocturnal style to dodge all the pressure during the day so they use the moon as a defensive manuever..

I never like to hunt during a full moon. The elk seem to play more at night during a full moon and go to bed early the next morning, at least in the area I hunt. More important to me is how hot the day is. Contrary to the normal train of thought I like a really hot day. The best bugling I have ever had were on screaming hot days. IMO bugling is really just elk talking s$&t. I know I talk the most s$&t when I am hot and grumpy. I think elk are the same. Get the bulls hot and grumpy and you get great bugling (talking s$&t). At least that is my personal observation.

I drew a great tag last year for archery elk and hunted during the full moon. It sucked!!!!!!!! The first 5 days the bulls were going wild, then the full moon hit and the bulls went quiet. They bugled til 7am then quit. I also drew a rifle bull tag in my home state of Nevada and the full moon almost busted that hunt also. Both hunts were guided with good guides. Previous hunts were not in the full moon stage and the hunts were great. I wish I would have turned in the home state tag and tried again this year but the full moon is during that stage also. Best of luck. If its hot get on some water all day long and play the waiting game.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom