Archery elk help

archerycrazy

MM Members,

I am looking for some advice for a first time archery elk hunter. I have experience bowhunting for deer but this year will be my first attempt at hunting elk. Truthfully, I don't have a lot of experience hunting elk with any type of weapon. They seem to be an entirely different animal than deer (literally and figuratively). I live in St. George and would like to hunt possibly the Cedar Mtn. or Beaver areas.

Having never killed an elk, I will be approaching this hunt realistically. I will likely take the opportunity to harvest a cow if I get in range. My question is, what is the best method an elk rookie like myself to get close to the elk. For deer, I typically prefer sitting on water or spot and stalk. Are these good methods for elk as well? Any direction of where I might go to see elk would also be appreciated. I am not asking you to reveal your honey holes, and like I said I would be happy with just a cow. Any suggestions where I might go within a few hours of St. George? I am more than willing to get off the road and put in the miles.

I appreciate any help you might provide. Having missed recent hunts due to military deployments/assignments and not drawing any tags (including archery deer) this year I am looking forward to getting out into the woods. I just don't want to go without a plan or any idea what I am doing.

Thanks,

Archerycrazy

Welcome back and thanks for your service.

1st off anywhere down south is chuck full of elk. Well the whole state is.

The biggest thing to remember with elk is the wind. Keep up wind from them and you'll be ok. I prefer a spot and stalk approach, just because I think I have ADD and can't stand sitting in one spot for too long. But honestly approach it like you would a deer hunt. There's no big secret in any of it. Just get out there, find them and work your way in.

If you do get a shot, just remember to stay away from the shoulder.

Good luck.

I like to call elk... i think it adds to the excitement! Get some dvds and you can see how its done. I use primos calls and have had good succes with them!! good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom