Archery Elk

FamousAddiction

Well it's about time to put in vacation time for the upcoming Archery Elk season. I'm having a litle trouble trying to decide which week I should put in for. I'm thinking either the week of Sept 7-11 or Sept 14-18. I'm just curious to see what everybody else is going to do. I know the week of Sept 14-18 Muzzy season will be in full swing, so I was thinking I would take the week of Sept 7-11 but want to make sure the rut will be peaking during that time. Anybody have any thoughts or opinions? Will the week of Sept 7-11 be to early?

I'd do the week after the muzzleloader if you can. It seems like the rut here tends to be later in September.

Thanks for all of the replies, I'll have to keep that in mind. Just seems they'd be getting a little spooky after the smokepoles start flinging lead at them. So is that when you generally have your best archery hunt, at the end of September?

It all depends how I am going to hunt.Either the first week or the last week of the season.
If it has been a dry summer,I hunt the first week and hunt close to water.Take a stand with good sign and wait,just like hunting Whitetails.
If the summer has had good rains and water is everywhere,I hunt the last week of the season and try to hit the rut.Mostly Cow calling.
Also have had good luck hunting wallows thru out the season.

I have been trying to figure out that very same thing. Before the Muzzy or after the Muzzy. I would like to go after to try to get into the rut a little more but I wonder how skiddish the elk will be after being chased and shot at for a week. Whats your guys experience with this. Do the elk seem to calm down quickly or are they pretty skiddish for the rest of the fall?

Jeff

If they are rutting they get less cautious to hunters and just looking for a girlfriend.

have the same dilema and am going the week of ML - and I am archery hunting. Have a archery pronghorn hunt in WY 20-26 Sep with a buddy, so kind of knocking two hunts out

I usually hunt the entire season but have always had better luck after the ML season. They don't seem to be any more worked up after than before. I killed my bull last year one day after the ML season. He was bugling up a storm when he came in looking for a lady friend.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to have Sept 18th-27th off, 10 days of hunting. I can't wait!!!! Good Luck to everyone else, season is less than a month away.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom