Archery hunting deer in Cache unit Utah

KArchery

Looking to hunt the Cache unit this fall for deer. Never been to the area, just looking for any tips. We are looking at the wellsville mountains by Honeyville or Cache national forest by Richmond. Would you recommend one area over the other? What are deer numbers like? Quality of deer? Number of other hunters? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would 100% not try hunting for he honey I’ll portion of the unit. I’d also avoid the Richmond area. Very very few deer. I grew up and still do hunt the Cache unit (archery deer). I assume you’re coming from out of state? You can PM me.

This two spots are probably to much rugged, rough, and steep terrain in the unit. It is doable but VERY hard to hunt. Like I said not impossible but you have your work cut out for you. There are a lot of areas you could hunt on the cache unit.

I’ve seen some nice bucks in the wellsville wilderness area. Granted that was quite some time ago. Deer numbers have been down statewide, so that’s gonna be a battle anywhere you go. The wellsvilles are a place that ‘could’ produce a big buck every year.

it is challenging country to hunt. It is steep. Makes for a fun hike with a loaded pack on. Of the years I hunted it I never found water up there, so you will likely need to pack your water in.

hope this helps.

This two spots are probably to much rugged, rough, and steep terrain in the unit. It is doable but VERY hard to hunt. Like I said not impossible but you have your work cut out for you. There are a lot of areas you could hunt on the cache unit.
Thanks for input! Are there areas that arnt as rugged but I can still get away from other hunters? Hiking isn't too much of an issue, we are prepared to hike a good distance if we need to.

I’ve seen some nice bucks in the wellsville wilderness area. Granted that was quite some time ago. Deer numbers have been down statewide, so that’s gonna be a battle anywhere you go. The wellsvilles are a place that ‘could’ produce a big buck every year.

it is challenging country to hunt. It is steep. Makes for a fun hike with a loaded pack on. Of the years I hunted it I never found water up there, so you will likely need to pack your water in.

hope this helps.
Thanks! If we go east of logan in the Cache Wilderness will water be more available or will we still need to pack all our water in?

Very difficult without scouting; most success in the cache unit is prep (finding water holes that are being used) and or paths from bedding ground to feeding ground. With no prep, very difficult. (I agree with others on here; go East of Cache Valley, more options. Wellsville access is limited due to private ground down low and little water up high unless you know the mountain very well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom