Archery in the Rubies

CaptainDan

Finally, Archery huntin' in the Rubies. Got the pack tent and hiking boots out. I have spent some time up there but feel I should try some new spots. I'm not looking for anyone's "honey hole" but would appreciate any help as far as a direction to head. Thanks and good hunting to you all.

Lamoille up in 102, definitely has some bruisers. you really want to look way up high. try and stay away from all of the traffic because it can get busy out there. Get off the beaten path and you are sure to find some bucks. Good Luck!

CaptainDan, unfortunately you probably wont get many serious responses coming on to MM when your first post is asking for deer directions in the Rubies.

Just get off the roads and get high. you will find them.

My first post was on getting pointed in the right direction in area 11 and got a ton of help from helpful people on this site. Im sure more people will be willing on giving you some more helpul information.

I would like to help you with more exact areas but i havent hunted in 10 in a few years and im sure the activity has changed since then.

Hit up the search function. Not trying to be an a** but there have been literally 100's of posts on hunting area 10. Maybe 100 alone just for the early archery hunt. Things don't change that much year to year...A lot of those posts are from guys who don't come around here anymore, and IMO, know/knew a whole lot more than some of the guys posting here now...

CaptainDan and Rookie,

My post wasnt intended to be rude, was simply stating the behavior that has been exhibited throughout my time on the site. I cant say i have hunted the rubies but have spent plenty of time in them, but all of the basins hold deer and literally, if you stay away from people and pack in you will find deer. stay high.

Finding bucks is not the hard part of archery hunting the Rubies. Getting an arrow in a buck is a whole other story. I had a blast last year and drew the tag agian, so I'll be up there playing cat and mouse.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-12 AT 12:28PM (MST)[p]My experience with giving or asking for information on MM varies from rude, disrespectful comments to very, very helpful individuals that will PM their phone number and have you call them. Then they go over the maps with you on the phone.

You'll never know unless you ask.

An area like Unit 10, archery usually won't get you any specifics since you can draw that tag every year.

My limited experience in Unit 10 would tell you to get up the Ruby Crest Trail at least 5 or more miles from either Lamoille canyon or Harrison Pass, drop down off of the top to the head of the big canyons and glass. Bring the best glass you own, no matter the weight. Spare weight somewhere else.

A Rubys hunt is why I now own a pair of Swaro 15X56s. I was "optically challenged" the last time I hunted that unit.

Thanks for the post. I have talked to some real good folks on the site. You hit the nail on the head as far as the wide range of responses you will get from people. All in all most have been very helpful. Good hunting.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom