Archery Javelina Questions

outdoorsdude

So, for something different I put in for and drew archery Javelina tags. One for the Mrs. also(her second big game hunt). Kinda excited, everything I have read says they are fun to hunt.

My biggest question is; are there a preponderance of them on public? Or are they like Barbary, ie. you might see one on public but you will see a group over on inaccessible private.

I am NOT asking for your 'honey hole'!

I just hope for some relevant, non-conflicting information, pertaining to hunting them HERE in NM. Any general information would be helpful. Thanks-

Which units did you draw? If it wasn't the 19, 23-28 units, you will probably have a little harder time of it (last year's harvest data shows about 10% less success in the units not in the SW corner of the state). I tried and failed three times down by Carlsbad to find Javelina, and never laid eyes on one despite several people telling me they were there and seeing some sign of them.

As to your question about them congregating on private land, I don't personally think they would tend to do that. The one I harvested in 2010 was on public land, and all of the sign I found left by them was on public land (because that was the only land I could hunt), and I think if you put in enough leg work and use your optics heavily in the SW corner of the state - Silver City, Deming, Lordsburg area - you will probably find one.

From my somewhat limited experience, they aren't the hardest animals to stalk as their eyesight is very poor, and as long as you keep your wind good, you should be OK with a bow. I hunted with a rifle, and ended up shooting mine at about 20 yards, and I was wishing I had just taken my bow instead because the stalking part was pretty easy. I have also seen a couple of videos where people have used a predator call very successfully to call them in.

Overall, it is a very fun little hunt to help quell the end-of-season blues, and they make a unique mount to add to your collection. I wouldn't count on having any wonderful pork chops though. Javelina is the one hoofed, big game animal in NM that you do not have to eat (Page 24 of the BGRIB), and I am glad for it, because they are nasty. I tried very hard to enjoy it just because I try to consume all of what I kill, but despite my best efforts, I couldn't stomach it. It smells like skunk and tastes like skunk, and no one could convince me otherwise (the one I took was a mature boar, so that may have made it worse, but I think they are generally pretty gnarly eating).

Bottom line is look for lots of prickly pear that has the tops shredded, and look for tracks that look like doe/fawn tracks with a shorter stride, and glass the area heavily. Ultimately, just enjoy the fact that you are in the field pursuing something.

I would also recommend javelinahunter.com as it has quite a bit of useful information that was helpful for me. The video "Pure Hunting Javelina" is also useful, interesting to watch, and they use a predator call in a couple hunts on that video also.

Good luck. Post some pictures if you get one.

Thanks Muley.

Javelinahunter.com has some good resources, I didn't know if Sonoran info would be relevant here in NM. I should have confirmed in the O.P. that yes the tag is for the SW game units.

Spent 10 days south of Deming two years back, but it was all spent hanging on the rock pile trying to arrow an Ibex (one fine hunt). I know they are supposed to be around there too. Just I have never seen one.

In the end I know it will be another fun filled, learning experience; I just hope the wife gets one.

Yo Nate,I have seen a couple at the base of the rock pile on the south side.But the most I have seen is around Silver city in the Burros,and saw some near Mimbres.My brother and I got 2 on the outskirts of Silver a few years back.My buddy is from there and had us all over the place.I think we were by Hurley not positive though.

Archery javas are a hoot, hands down my favorite way to chase em. In response to your original post, I don't think javas can even see a four wire fence let alone know what it might mean to their safety. I've killed some on private , but have seen just as many and had better luck on public hunting the exact same kinds of habitat. Only javas I've seen on the rock pile were in the high saddles between gym peak and mahoney, way higher than I would have thought. fwiw, if you glass some up on private it never hurts to ask, especially if its a smaller parcel that doesnt bank on hunting much anyway, ranchers don't seem to have a very high opinion of them (unless they have a spread thats big enough to justify a tresspass fee).
P.S. I totally disagree with them being inedible. Pack them in a cooler full of ice with the drain valve open for at least a week and a half, bone em out and grind em fine, second only to barbs for bitchin beastie tacos

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom