Archery Mule Deer Units

NMBOWHUNTR

Hello fellow New Mexicans! New member here to the forum but a long time looker. I think this is a great site and everyone here seems extremely friendly and helpful so I figured I join the club.

I am just trying to get everyones opinion on where there favorite unit is to hunt deer. Im not looking for any hunnyholes but just trying to expand my areas thurought the state. Primarly looking for a fallback unit for the archery seasons.

Also what are some good youth deer and elk hunts? Im trying to get my brother-in-law (he's 15) into hunting but just don't know which hunts I should put him in for.

Good luck on the draw everyone!

Im located in Albuquerque but willing to travel to any part of the state. I usually put in for the Sandias as my first choice but no success last couple of years. Just trying to get a heads up on some good populated areas to maybe switch up my strategy. I love the hunt and the chase!

Also any quality youth areas you recommend NMPaul...

You're going to be hard pressed to beat the quality of the youth only hunt in 34. Let me know if your BIL is successful in the draw. I'm always up for youth hunts!
On your other question are you looking for numbers or quality?

I think this year im just interested in filling the freezer. Looking for a lot of action and numbers. Of course if you could recommend a unit with P&Y potential that would be greatly appreciated too.

As for the BIL, 34 is one of the top choices. trying to get a young hunter hooked you know what I mean! I here its an action packed unit but how is the hunting pressure and access? Can you get away from the crowds in 34?

NM has some great youth hunts. If it is deer, I would go on the odds page and pick a couple of tough draws as first couple choices and then an easy one as 3rd choice so your brother in law gets to hunt.

Elk, like cookie said unit 34 is a great hunt, but, chance of drawing is very hard. Pick a couple of other easier draw units as 2nd and 3rd choice.

Deer, there are youth hunts down here in the SE, but, I bet there are some just as good or better in the N.

I put the kids I apply for in for youth hunts because all the ones I have been involved in have been quality hunts.

If you draw a unit your not familiar with, first get a good quality topo map showing private and public land.

Next contact the biologist for the area and get some info, then maybe ask for some ideas here on MM.

Then, schedule a scouting trip with your brother in law before the season and go scout and glass.

I have done this and have had good success. Use the scouting trip to find animals, eliminate areas you dont want to hunt and hopefully find where you want to be on opening morning.

If you draw for anything in 34, let me know and we can help beat crowds... especially during the youth hunt...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom