archery oryx?

landop

Was sittin around day-dreaming today and thought about trying to put one of these tough suckers down with an archery rig. Whats everyones take on this, and do you think a normal elk setup would be able to do the job?

its been done. the hardest part is gettin close enough with the short amount of time you usually have to hunt. i haven't tried it but i would want a quartering away shot to have a better chance at hitting the vitals

Offrange hunt would give ya more time to get er done. The on range is so hectic that it would be VERY VERY difficult.

Setting water offrange could get it done.

Outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.

I agree, an on-range hunt would be very, very difficult...with a very good chance of other people blowing a stalk or 2 for you.

Rabidrattlesnake drew a 4 day hunt on Rhodes about 10 years ago and tried it for the first half of the hunt. Pulled out my rifle on the 3rd day and tagged a 39" bull.

The other difficulty is if you are being selective on a 2 day hunt.

Off-range gives you a month, and you have some options like private land that can allow you to isolate yourself from others to be a little more safe and sneaky.

However, being selective off-range can prove difficult too.

As far as gear, an elk setup should be perfect, but, as with anything else, shot placement is the key.

Good luck is all I can say. I've been very fortunate in that I've been a part of over 50 hunts for these animals and it would be tough to say the least. I think you could get close enough if you had the time and patience, but you would definitely need a quartering away shot. That being said in all the hunts i've sponsored/guided/been on, I think we've had 3-4 legitimate bow chances. I guess it would all depend on how dedicated you were, and how much time you had. You'd definitely have to be on an off-range hunt or a badge hunt where you have the entire month to give it a shot.

As far a gear, if you get that quartering away shot, an elk setup would put them down. I'd be ultra picky on the shot though. If he wasn't quartering away, I wouldn't shoot. otherwise, be prepared to have your 5 mile + hiking shoes on because I've seen these critters run FOREVER!

With that being said I hope you do knock one down with a bow. It would be a tremendous accomplishment. Good luck and good hunting!

Its possible. My mom shot hers at 60 yards. BUT with a rifle. You got to have cover in order to get close like we did.

I do have to agree with sportman01 in that mature examples of these animals do have a will to survive unlike anything else I've hunted. So again, shot placement is key.

Thanks for all the input. I agree with all of you, the only way I'll break out the bow is for the off-range hunt just for the time factor. I think its going to have to be a coin flip of which hunt i'm going to put in for (on or off). Then cross fingers and toes hoping we draw.
Another question. Has anyone heard of the draw odds for the iraq/afghanistan veteran hunts?

I agree with what everyone has said about the toughness of the animals. I really think it is doable but you really need to be patient with your shot selection.

I went on my one and only hunt, so far, a year or so ago. A buddy and I drew the Rhodes Canyon hunt. My intentions were to hunt with my bow the first day and then go with a rifle. We chose to hunt the hill country and if you are going with your bow you will want to do that. The first morning we saw tons of Oryx and new it wouldn't be a problem filling a tag on a decent one with my rifle if it came down to the wire.

So we parked the trucks and headed out on foot to get away from the road traffic. It was amazing how many oryx hide in the canyons just off the road a mile or so. We found a good group in a stalkable position and I was on my way. I closed the distance to 30 yards of my intended target within 30 minutes. I had a stiff cross wind that aided in the stalk but would later hinder me. I had three different oryx bedded within 50 yards of my position. About that time another Oryx popped up walking dead towards me. The other Oryx stood and I readied for the shot. The bull I wanted walked out and then gave me a perfect broadside shot. I took the shot but with the heavy cross wind I didn't adjust enough and took him 5" behind the shoulder. Being the rookie that I was I still thought it was plenty good enough. That wasn't the case and my Oryx ran and ran and ran. It took all day for us to find him and finish him off with a rifle. We were very glad to have found him but I was pissed that I made the bad shot. It is imperative that you wait for a quartering away shot on these animals. There lungs are so far forward and are protected well by that shoulder.

If you are not looking for that absolute monster I think it is a very accomplishable goal. This was my first stalk on the first day. The bull I shot was 34" long, not a huge trophy but I was going to shoot any decent bow with my bow.

If I was to do it again I would go with my bow all the way for a day and a half then shoot one the last evening with a rifle.

Good luck. IB

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom