Are electronic sights allowed in AZ?

mano_a_mano

I wanted to get my son a red dot sight but heard gossip that it may not be allowed for hunting in AZ. I searched the regs but could find no such restriction. Wanted to find out for sure so I could go put a new dot scope on my sons rifle to start practicing now for this fall. Anyone know where I can find the answer?

Buy your son thst red dot. This was discussed st s Commission meeting last year. The consensus was, anything that does not project a sighting point such as a laser would be legal. Red Dots and electronically illuminated sight pins on a bow would be fine. I'll try to find the minutes of that meeting. While I'm doing this, you can check the FAQ portion of the G&F website or submit a question if there isn't an answer already provided.

I was told when I took the AZ hunter ed class that electronic or battry assisted bow sites were illegal. If thats has changed please let know.

I don't know about on a gun, but on a bow I thought it was clarified last year that electronically illuminated bow sites were illegal.

>I don't know about on a
>gun, but on a bow
>I thought it was clarified
>last year that electronically illuminated
>bow sites were illegal.

I'll have to find the reg again, but I believe you are correct in your statement that the little light you screw into your bowsight to illuminate your pins is illegal for bow hunting. I did, however, have a game warden stop me once, with that kind of light installed on my sight...looked at my bow, asked me about bow, liked the feel of my bow...and said nothing of the light. An oversight? Who knows, but I didn't get busted for having one when checked.

If we can't give you an answer you are comfortable with and you are still you're unsure, call the G&F office for the region you live/ hunt in. You will probably get a more definitive answer from them than calling the main Phoenix office.

JB

My info that they were illegal came at the AZ hunter safty course that I took last spring taught by Don Martin. Things could have changed since then. It was discussed that lit nocks were ok but that battery powered or asssisted sights were illegal.This proably also applies to illuminated reticle rifle scopes but I'm not sure on that.

A.R.S. 17-301

A. A person may take wildlife, except aquatic wildlife, only during daylight hours unless otherwise prescribed by the commission. A person shall not take any species of wildlife by the aid or with the use of a jacklight, other artificial light, or illegal device, except as provided by the commission.

To get the straight scoop, call the AZGFD Headquaters and ask to speak with Gene Elms ofr John Romero in the L.E. Branch. They will give you the straight scoop.

G.

I got thru to the Region1 game and fish office on Friday. The guy covering the regs questions was named Taylor. He indicated that as long as you are not projecting a light on game (ala Laser), you could use the electronic sights. He also indicated that they were working on wording in the regs to make it more clear. He also indicated this applies to archery too.

Red Dot sights, illuminated riflescope reticles, illuminated sight pins all are good to go during use under normal hunting hours.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom