Are there any cowboys left?

Wranglers and cowboy boots all day every day for this guy ! And my old Wyoming pokes cap , no it’s definitely not a flat brim ! Speaking of those , can anyone enlighten me as to why I want to smack every guy I see wearing a flatly ???? Seriously , one of my kids friends showed up wearing one and I told him he can take it off in this house or I’ll remove it for him ! Hate em ........

Every hat has a story. In my younger years I despised my brother for the flat brim..
flat out bugged the s**t out of me. My brother and i work at the same place. I received a promotion. First question to a family member from him”why don’t he get a better truck “?

It is very strange and I will never understand what the perception of what is important to an individual s life..

The tide is definitely shifting. So many ways now a days people identify themselves.
Wish people would just embrace who they feel they are instead of embracing influence s!

Wranglers and cowboy boots all day every day for this guy ! And my old Wyoming pokes cap , no it’s definitely not a flat brim ! Speaking of those , can anyone enlighten me as to why I want to smack every guy I see wearing a flatly ???? Seriously , one of my kids friends showed up wearing one and I told him he can take it off in this house or I’ll remove it for him ! Hate em ........
Those flat brims to me represent the rapper, drug dealer community or thats atleast where I first saw them in the city...Im at the 50 mark in age, but it sure pain me to see these kids flat brimming.
It does seem the more we talk about it the more they sport them.

That generation is still around they just moved a little further back in the woods. Ever since my kids moved away, I'm drifting a little further away. I need these pop culture threads so I can keep up with what the kids are doing.

Do you realize that just a couple of years ago was the first time in human history that the population became predominantly urban as opposed to rural, and the migration is accelerating. Ponder the implications of even more people packed even tighter.

Why is the flat brim such a big deal. I won't wear one . I did hate seeing a 6'6" guy at Yellowstone wearing red lipstick, eye shadow and painted nails.
It was weird. He was taking food orders at the grille.

I drove thru the castro district way back around 1980. I can guarantee you if you said "fag" down there you woulda had your a$$ beat by a bunch of big queens. Some dressed like cowboys.

It all comes down to social media the flatter the brim the even if it has an up curl. It’s kinda the motorcycle crowd look tats all over the place.

Wish people would just embrace who they feel they are instead of embracing influence s!

As long as the person "they feel they are" is just like you and they don't wear a flatty, right?

I grew up on, and eventually owned, a farm/ranch for the first 55 years of my life. I wore all kinds of stupid hats and clothes and did all sorts of crazy things to my hair. And I worked damn hard. The last few years I no longer do that for a living and instead spend my days in front of a computer or going to meetings. I don't wear flatty hats and I dont care for the big flat brimmed cowboy hats people wear these days either. But I dont judge people by their hat.

They say the clothes dont make the man. Should apply to hats too.

A Year ago at Last Years EXPO!

There was a Guy with a Booth that Made Hats & Replicated Hats!

So I Handed Him Mine & Said:

Can You Replicate This Hat?

He Studied it for a Few Minutes with Chitty Eaten Grin and then said:

That's Definitely the Most Illegal Hat I've ever seen!

Chris LaDue had a great song about cowboy hats

Think this Ledoux song is a bit more fitting.

We're still up here.

20190928_131354.jpg

Yep DW. Most people today have never met a man like that song describes, let alone been one.

I've been fortunate to know a few, wouldn't insult em by claimin to be one. Lucky enough to be able to pretend to be one a few months every fall....

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. Couldnt carry those type of men's hat. But I've known some. Some are still riding. Some are gone. Tough as nails, honest, with integrity. Might laugh at the style of somebody's hat or offer to give them haircut with a pocket knife (heard that more than once) but if you really needed something or were in a jam they would give you a hand UP.

DW thanks for posting. I spelled his name wrong. I bought a tape from him when he was selling them from the back of his car. Best CW singer ever in my opinion.

elkassassin beat me to it, this was probably the song you were thinkin of. His son Ned Ledoux sounds a lot like him if you get a chance I recommend seein him.

Last edited:
Was in a Restaurant/Bar several Years ago!

Eatin a Steak & Playin the JukeBox with a couple Friends!

This Gay/Wanna-be Cowboy in a PINK Shirt Kept Giving us that Look!

After a Few Drinks He Got Brave!

Waltz's Up & Asked Me How I'd Like Him to Tear that Hat Off My Head?

The Rest is History!

I Promise You He'll Never Be that Brave Ever again!

I do not really care about the hats. It is the pants requiring a hand to hold them up that is ridiculous

pull up your pants.jpg

Was in a Restaurant/Bar several Years ago!

Eatin a Steak & Playin the JukeBox with a couple Friends!

This Gay/Wanna-be Cowboy in a PINK Shirt Kept Giving us that Look!

After a Few Drinks He Got Brave!

Waltz's Up & Asked Me How I'd Like Him to Tear that Hat Off My Head?

The Rest is History!

I Promise You He'll Never Be that Brave Ever again!

Was this the little fella?

I know what 1911 means, and I will agree with what others have said, I have known a few, .One was my Father. He had 1 set of sunday meeting clothes, and shoes, and 2 pairs of work boots. 4 or 5 work shirts and green colored heavy levi pants. He drove an older modle pickup, because it did what he needed it to. He was honest, and hard working. He was always willing to help a friend in need. He was born on the kitchen table of the ranch house in 1927 ranched enlisted in the army, fought in Korea. Married my mother and raised a family. Working hard was the norm. When he died, the veiwing we planned for was 2 hours, it took 5. Thère was a line a block and a half long. People were introducing themselves and saying things like, I went to high school with your dad we were friends. I havent seen him in 50 years. Or I worked with your dad on such and such job in the 1968, he took me fishing in the Uintas... Yes I have known a few, and they are getting pretty scarce these days

Stonefly, not much different than my dad. He was the orphan son of an orphaned son. Left an abusive foster home at 13 after his mom died. Did what he had to survive. Made his way west and became a cowboy. Worked for a couple great ranches; the Trinchera out of Trinidad, CO., Governor Billy Adams of Colorado, the Baca Grant in Colorado the Philmont Scout ranch and probably a couple more. Couldn't afford a truck, so he bought a 31 Ford sedan and cut out the back seat, installed a bed and made it his truck. I was carried home in it from the hospital and still have it, and the title. Dad heard about WWII while working on a ranch in NM, I think the Philmont, in spring of 42. He was a Ranger in WWII and had a severe head injury and never was quite the same. I have a picture of him enlisting in the Army from the back of a horse. He died never having owned his own home, but sacrificed what he had to make sure each of his kids had a decent start.

I forgot to add....mom and dad met when mom was walking by a saloon in Cimarron, NM. Dad had his horse hitched to the rail and was inside buying a case of beer to slip on the horse when they literally bumped in to each other.

Last edited:
I only wear flat brims to the bar. For some reason guys end up buying me drinks. Who doesn’t like free drinks?

I have know a few real cowboys throughout my life and have tons of respect for that lifestyle. I also get a good laugh at the flatbrimmer comments. And then some fake country music posted........

This is dedicated to my/our "Irresistible" Hero and Mentor Elk.
Lot's of Pink you can fight over Buddy:

Jagerdad :)

Couple more observations. Wearing a cowboy hat, pointy boots, belt with a name on the back, big silver buckle, wranglers with a worn ring on the back pocket doesn't make one a cowboy. Cowboys have special talents and knowledge acquired through experience. Likewise, knowing ones way around a horse and being a cowboy isn't all it takes to be a cattleman. Several of the best cattlemen I've known were rarely on a horse or dressed up in drugstore clothes. But when it came to animal husbandry and making a living from cattle they were some of the best. There are also crossovers, if you will, that can do a good job of both. They are more rare.

Dear Elk.. Was/is my above dedicated video accepted as coming from a friend or a distasteful topic..? Just trying to be a good guy towards you, Homer and everyone here in Campfire.
Heck, I believe I acknowledged 2, 3 ...etc Years ago the I still considered myself ON PROBATION as a New Member.

I can Talk true Cowboy but, It is painful and I would only do such, eye to eye with someone I felt is a Friend and COULD Understand.

Couple more observations. Wearing a cowboy hat, pointy boots, belt with a name on the back, big silver buckle, wranglers with a worn ring on the back pocket doesn't make one a cowboy. Cowboys have special talents and knowledge acquired through experience. Likewise, knowing ones way around a horse and being a cowboy isn't all it takes to be a cattleman. Several of the best cattlemen I've known were rarely on a horse or dressed up in drugstore clothes. But when it came to animal husbandry and making a living from cattle they were some of the best. There are also crossovers, if you will, that can do a good job of both. They are more rare.
That's exactly right. When I use the specific title of cowboy what I was talking about was the heart and soul of the men and women who from scratch, made this country the masterpiece it is. I'm talking about loggers, railroad workers, cafeteria workers, doctors, lawyers (well a few), long haul truck drivers, and pretty much any occupation or calling that was derived from true grit.

It's still all around us and I know it is only a small portion of the population that has evolved into self centered, spoiled brats. It really all is embodied in the showcase that the likes of Mike Rowe bring to light. The strong willed character that will forge ahead regardless of how dire circumstances are. The cowboy is just metaphoric for all of these things.

The flat brim stuff was more of a MM cultural slang and I know plenty of salt of the earth folks that wear them. It's always something weird and now it's just flat brims instead of polyester bell bottoms.

I'll even go as far as to say the fella who lives near the eel river and sharpened saw mill blades for decades is a prime example of what I"m talking about, despite his attempts to burn down dwellings with kerosine when feuding.

When I first went to work in the woods I had longer hair. The Beatles made me do it. After a few days of sweat running down into my eyes I cut that long hair off. That was enough for me.

I'm 71 and still getting after it. PG&E cut down one of my Redwood trees about a month ago. It was hanging over the power lines. They chipped up the branches but left the logs down over the bank. It's about 22" diameter. Like an idiot I've been cutting it up for firewood and carrying it up to the road to haul home in the truck.

I wear a size 44 coat and a size 2 hat, but it's not a flat brim.

To top it off we just now had a 5.9 earthquake. No kidding. Rock and Roll.

Flatbrimmers, long hairs (that is a 70s thing), saggy pants dudes, tats, body piercings, backwards hat guys, ...it's gonna keep on going for each successive generation. In my time, dudes who listened to rock music and grew their hair long just had to be commies. But some of them (us?) turned out ok. Every generation will see their own outcast sect.

I suspect there are some decent flatbrimmers out there, ( :) )just like there are decent dudes with tats, or piercings.

I gotta admit, it's tough for me to look past saggy pants dudes; who knows, there might be some ok guys there, too.

I'd rather judge someone by the content of their character, and always try to. But, rappers and saggy pants dudes got a bit of extra work to do.

I suppose plumbers can grow on a fella.

Flatbrimmers, long hairs (that is a 70s thing), saggy pants dudes, tats, body piercings, backwards hat guys, ...it's gonna keep on going for each successive generation. In my time, dudes who listened to rock music and grew their hair long just had to be commies. But some of them (us?) turned out ok. Every generation will see their own outcast sect.

I suspect there are some decent flatbrimmers out there, ( :) )just like there are decent dudes with tats, or piercings.

I gotta admit, it's tough for me to look past saggy pants dudes; who knows, there might be some ok guys there, too.

I'd rather judge someone by the content of their character, and always try to. But, rappers and saggy pants dudes got a bit of extra work to do.

I suppose plumbers can grow on a fella.
My bias with flat brims, right wrong or indifferent, is this. I very well may be wrong and that's ok too. It seems like the flat brim evolved with the gang bangers and for the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would want to emulate that. The catch is, just because I see it this way doesn't mean everyone else does.

Real cowboys don’t get circumcised, so they have a place to put their chew when there brushing there teeth!

I have a flatbrimmer and a normal one also. LOL

The flatbrimmer is a 2 time wrestling state placer, all state football, etc and chases lions for fun. The other one who wears "normal" caps is a baseball fan and ski bum. Both in engineering school, listen to the same music, etc.

Don't ask me why we are all different.

I'm pretty old school and some things today I just don't get, but when I was young I know I had some ways that the old timers didn't get either. The flat brims don't seem to rile me they way they do others on here, but one thing that tickles me, is when I see fellas tucking their ears inside their flat brims, that just seems uncomfortable as all get out to me! Kinda makes me laugh, thinking about stupid things we do to try and look cool and what pictures of this will look like 30+ years from then

I think the flat brim "style" started when someone got a free hat and as a matter of disrespect some people just wore it as it was given. They didn't try to shape it or adjust the size even if it went over the ears. It was a form of rebellion to start with and it caught on. It was kind of like long hair in the 60's. We did it just because the establishment thought it was stupid. If our parents didn't like it, so much the better.

If a bunch of older people started wearing flat brims, the youngsters wouldn't be caught dead in one.

Everyone is so metro in their own mind. Flat brims, dbags in trucks they can’t afford, everyone crying over the trend of the day. I miss the generation that put their boots on, went to work, and didn’t blame their shitty life in everyone but themselves.
social media, in the old days there wasn't may people to ***** too. now we can ***** to people we don't know and get sympathy.

Mr. Elk... Would you be one who would take Odd Job Hunting or, would Tri stop you due to the Taxidermy work needed to fix the Pizz-Cutter Bagged.... Remember, no judging visual images....Odd Job can be a true Loyal Friend.

I’m 46. I wear flat brimmed hats. When I was a kid only the dorks wore curved brims. I don’t understand all this “flat-brimmer” vitriol by guys my age.
Or is it older guys?

Did I grow up in an alternate universe?

If it’ll make you all feel better you can just assume I shoot at skylined bucks, love long range hunting, drive a fancy truck I can’t afford, and tuck my ears in.;)

still a few real ones here in Wyoming...sometimes somebody asks me if I'm one...I say heck no...I can't throw a loop for crap...

Everyone is so metro in their own mind. Flat brims, dbags in trucks they can’t afford, everyone crying over the trend of the day. I miss the generation that put their boots on, went to work, and didn’t blame their shitty life in everyone but themselves.

16 year old here, this morning I woke up early, put my boots, wranglers, and of course my BENT BRIM hat on and went to school. I hate the new trend as much as you do which is very bad in high school right now. Makes it hard to have friends since I’m not trendy but I don’t follow the trend I follow who I am. And I won’t complain a bit about it because it’s my choice whether to follow my roots or be a flat brim wearin, vapin, well you get the point...

16 year old here, this morning I woke up early, put my boots, wranglers, and of course my BENT BRIM hat on and went to school. I hate the new trend as much as you do which is very bad in high school right now. Makes it hard to have friends since I’m not trendy but I don’t follow the trend I follow who I am. And I won’t complain a bit about it because it’s my choice whether to follow my roots or be a flat brim wearin, vapin, well you get the point...
Be you young man! Thanx for chimin in!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom