Area 10 Deer Muzzleloader

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I was surprised to see the draw odds so high for this hunt. With 257 tags alotted to residents and NR's (which I am) you'd think that it would be a tougher draw. Plus it doesn't conflict with the traditional western state hunts that are in October. Is this not a good hunt to go on, per say? I understand it would be a little warm and you'd need to know where the water is, but what else am I missing? I am looking for a deer hunt in NV for the 2009 season. I've got 6 points but I want the best possible hunt I can. However, it either needs to be in September or after the first of November because of my Wyoming hunt. This is the worst part about hunting....the planning!! Any advice would be great.

Steve

well the thing about 10 is it's way hard to hunt and the area is HUGE. Look at how meny tag thay give out in all. If you don't know where you want you could spend half your season just looking for a place.

Since all 5 choices in NV are considered, you really can't get an idea of the true odds. The NDOW Bonus odds only list the unsuccessful applicants first choice. I suspect that not too many people put area 10 as there first choice. For example, I drew area 10 early rifle last year as my 5th choice. A better way to get an idea of you're true drawing odds, is to add up all units successful devided by all units unsuccessful + successful for your point class. Do a search, there is alot on here about area 10. I think that the muzzy season is a tough time of year to hunt NV The bucks are hard horned, starting to grow there winter coat, and the temperatures are so hot they seem to go nocturnal.

the deer are in the same places where they are in the early rifle season so other than less pressure there is no seasonal advantage, area 10 has some access problems due to private land, and the deer in most of area 10 "generally" lack the ability to grow B and C antlers, spindly horns, lack of mass ect.

"This is the worst part about hunting....the planning"
Wisward i"d have to disagree.For me this is one of the best parts about the hunt, planning.From mid January ( Wyoming Elk ) till June that's all i"ll be doing reading,studying crunching numbers tryin to decide which hunts to put in for.Try to have fun with it i do.

Oilcan- For me it is very frustrating trying to figure out which hunt/tag will provide me the best opportunity to have an enjoyable hunt. With so many areas to research and not knowing the state all that well will be a chanllenge for me. I'm not the kind of guy who will post on MM, "I've got 7 points.....which hunt is the best with this many points." So...it will be a lot of phone calls, websites, checking harvest reports, draw odds- all of which takes a lot of time. With 4 kids, 2 businesses to run and a wife that works full time, my time to research is done late at night. I guess what I'm saying is that it is not all that fun for me putting time into an area that I eventually decide not to hunt. But...that is what we need to do in order to have an enjoyable hunt. Take care.

Steve

Wiszard, like you can see by the time of this post, I feel your pain BUT, tag season is third behind huntin season and planning season as my favorite times of the year. Whoops, that encompasses the entire year.

I love 10!!! But i have horses and like seeing tons of deer, even smallish bucks.

Califelkslayer- I'm sure the horses are a huge plus in hunting such a large area and having to get where the other hunters will not venture. I've heard from others that the Ruby's may be hard to hunt....and that you may need to go as high as 9500-10,000 feet to find good deer. The research I've done so far has not left a positive taste in my mouth. I may just pay a guide to tie one up to a tree and have him give me the cordinates! Just kidding....I'll keep at it and hopefully it will pan out. I know that a lot of people are successful in the Ruby's so....why not me? Thanks for the help.

Steve

Steve think about 16, had a buddy go a few years ago muzzy season seen alot of bucks a few dandys too.My favorite spot for rifle but hard to get drawn.Bob...

>the deer are in the same
>places where they are in
>the early rifle season so
>other than less pressure there
>is no seasonal advantage, area
>10 has some access problems
>due to private land, and
>the deer in most of
>area 10 "generally" lack the
>ability to grow B and
>C antlers, spindly horns, lack
>of mass ect.

I have to disagree with this post I have hunted area 10 most of my life and there are many quality bucks. Large massive wide bucks if you are willing to work for them. I think is you can hike the hills you will be very happy with this area.

Wizard, Personally 10 muzzy would be one of my choices til I got the 3-4 points. In my opinion, it's not a 7 point tag. I've drawn the early rifle with no points.

It's a true optics unit!! I bought my Swaros the year AFTER I hunted the early season. Bucks followed the shade to bed and stayed in the shade in the evening. Glassing bucks in the shade from 600yds-5000yds was frustrating with my previous optics. I told my partner that we are "optically challenged" after our first day of scouting.

Califelkslayer- The one thing I don't want to do is "waste" my points on a hunt that I can draw with half as many points. I've waited to draw a tag for that many years.....I want it to pay off with a better than average tag. I also don't want to fight hunters or wonder if I'm in a good, productive area. I'm kinda hoping I come into some money here shortly so I can just hire an outfitter and be "taken care of"!! That'll be the day!

Steve

"If" your are willing to put in the time, energy, and possibly miles on your feet, area 10 is a great place to hunt. Just look at those mountains and alot say forget that I cant get my pickup or quad up there.

Raghorn- Thanks for the info. That may be the ticket. I'll check on the cost of that. I'm definately going to keep my options open to whatever will make the best hunt. Thanks again.

Steve

Steve -

I spoke with them earlier in the year and I think the quote was $950 for ride in/out. I believe it included your riding horse, a pack horse and 150 lbs of gear each. Check in with them though as it may be a two person minimum.

By the way...this option is assuming you bring your own camping gear, etc. They have outfitted drop camps that are a bit more pricey.

Good luck!!

Steve

Raghorn Hunting Services
www.raghornhuntingservices.com
[email protected]

Hell, if it's around $950 that seems like a pretty good deal in order to get some hunting ground that isn't crawling with other hunters. It would be my Dad and I and we have all the equipment we'd need. I appreciate the info. I may burn my points next year so I'll expect that price to be a bit higher anyway. Thanks again! Good luck this year.

Steve

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom