Area 10 early rifle deer

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
Last year my son had the early rifle deer tag in 10 and shot this deer (his first mule deer).

This year my son and my wife have the same tag and our trip is coming up next week. This will be my wife’s first attempt at harvesting a deer so her minimum expectation will be of a first deer. My son will look to upgrade over last year, we shall see.

We are going to hunt the tail end of the 1st season.

My buddy shot a good archery buck this year in the wildo this year. How’s this year compared to last in terms of quality? I hunted 13 last year and it has seen better days. How’s the weather been up there and any reports from the field? Any good deer crushed in 10?

1A941CB4-9EA9-41D7-A3DE-36B1520A1FB0.jpeg

I hunted Sunday and Monday. Found some good bucks way up high but it’s so warm right now they’re bedded very very early. Very difficult hunting conditions. We hiked to the top and slept up there. Even at 9,800 ft it was surprisingly warm. We talked to one group of hunters that had a 2x2 in camp. Everyone else we talked to was extremely frustrated. I’m going back next week.

I just hunted 2 1/2 days with a full day of a high country scouting hike day before (short backpack in). Covered east 101, west 02, west 03, and 05 in that time. Saw nothing but does and some fawn/spikes.
Opening day heard two different shots below me in 102 in the 7000 area.
'03 was inundated with domestic sheep and never saw a deer and talked to others who never saw one there either. I've heard deer hate sheep and I'd like to think there's something to that cuz the country I was in was amazing.
Talked to guy who's son shot 4 point near secret pass (near some reservoir...can't remember). Other hunters scared a group to them. Last morning in 101 never heard a shot. Pretty tough. Taking a week off to nurse sore knee and let weather change.

She shot the 6.5PRC well this evening. One more time on Sunday and we should be read. Now if it wasn’t so damn difficult to find ammo.

8856E6CF-729A-4452-9965-CDD6B238E464.jpeg

Anyone get out over the weekend? Weather looks to be cooking off slightly and the moon phase over the hump.

I hunted Sunday and Monday. Found some good bucks way up high but it’s so warm right now they’re bedded very very early. Very difficult hunting conditions. We hiked to the top and slept up there. Even at 9,800 ft it was surprisingly warm. We talked to one group of hunters that had a 2x2 in camp. Everyone else we talked to was extremely frustrated. I’m going back next week.
How you doing out out there big dog?

1st day, hiked from bottom to the top of the rubys, spotted this buck at 8am. Bedded him at 10am in the cliffs at the top, 3:30pm (5.5 hours later) got into position and the wife made a 550 yard kill shot on her first buck, EVER. Broke his G2 rolling off a 40’ cliff. Made it out well after dark, physically wrecked. 6200’ to 9700 and back down.
25” 4x3.

93271830-7AA2-4C6C-8800-FC1868108BC7.jpeg

C8B19299-C1B3-4F85-B0BA-F25AF3D2E80E.jpeg

Awesome buck and hunt! I just ate tag soup in 10 rifle. Was sitting on a similar looking buck last day (just a tad narrower) but he never came out in the evening and disappeared. Surprised he was out and about until 10am. All the bucks I saw disappeared at exactly 8am. Really hard country to bed deer in an exact spot. The ones I watched just went into aspens and never came out.

Congratulations to your wife thanks for reporting back and I bet your wife will be ready to go back hunting before you know it! She is probably hooked like the rest of us.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom