Area 100 Type 1

A friend and I drew out type 1 area 100 tags this year. We've spent a lot of time in the area since we found out we drew. I've been able to locate elk along with several bulls. The heat this summer made for tough scouting. The amount of water in the area really threw me for a loop. I've located a few bulls in the 330-340 range but they seem fairly rare. Most of the bulls I've located have been in the 260-280 range. The only place I haven't spent much time is in the middle east and south east part of the unit. I will be heading there in the next day or so. I guess my question is am I seeing an accurate representation of what the unit has to offer? Or will rut help produce more mature animals? I plan on bow hunting the unit the entire month and rifle hunting the entire gun season if need be. Thanks in advance for any pms or replies.

A friend and I drew out type 1 area 100 tags this year. We've spent a lot of time in the area since we found out we drew. I've been able to locate elk along with several bulls. The heat this summer made for tough scouting. The amount of water in the area really threw me for a loop. I've located a few bulls in the 330-340 range but they seem fairly rare. Most of the bulls I've located have been in the 260-280 range. The only place I haven't spent much time is in the middle east and south east part of the unit. I will be heading there in the next day or so. I guess my question is am I seeing an accurate representation of what the unit has to offer? Or will rut help produce more mature animals? I plan on bow hunting the unit the entire month and rifle hunting the entire gun season if need be. Thanks in advance for any pms or replies.
If you see a 330 bull in the unit when you're archery hunting IMO you should shoot it. When I had the tag that's what I did. Even though I saw a couple slightly larger, I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity at this bull. He was bedded in a perfect spot for a stalk!
2020-09-03 19.04.18-1.jpg

Great bull. Was out there for archery last year with my cousin. You did the right going out there with a bow and not waiting until rifle. No pressure, relaxed elk and great weather.

His ivories seemed pretty worn. His teeth especially bottoms were wore off. I'm assuming the win and rain mixed with sand after a storm takes their teeth out? Or is this actually an older elk? I will get the tooth data back later

My buddy and I are officially done. This bull has been on our radar for a while. A brute, bully and an amazing elk to have had the pleasure of pursuing. How many times he has been in bow range and snuck by can barely be counted on one hand. He traveled a huge loop. Maybe 15 miles. We saw a few that would score better but in my eyes as well as the shooters this was the top bull.

Nice bulls! 100 is a fun hunt with a ton of elk!
Thanks. After a lifetime of chasing them in my part of the country. Wise old bulls and steep country with unpredictable wind has kicked my ass for a lot of years. This was a blessing. I'm thankful for the random draw instead of a point system. Maybe I'm a sucker for chance but I'm excited for anyone that might have the chance to hunt that unit next year.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom