Area 102

wyowalleye

Hey guys, awesome site, first time poster. Me and a buddy (both residents) were lucky enough to draw area 102 this year. We're really excited for this hunt and have scouted quite a bit. Our first time not hunting on a general tag. Just wondering if any of you past tag holders had any advice for us. Not looking for honey holes, just words of wisdom for us. Any areas to avoid, lessons learned, good hunt tactics, what worked/what didn't, etc for this unit. Can't wait for Saturday! Thanks!

Search the archives...this area has been beat to death on here...love to see new posts w/ pictures of bucks harvested, but you'll find all the info you need by searching the archives.

Words of wisdom? Humm . . . Looks like the weather is going to be fairly hot, and the moon will be big and bright. You are going to have to pound some ground to find a big, mature deer, as they won't be moving much during the day. Find a remote spot with some cover and water nearby, pay attention to tracks. They'll be laid up mostly.

How about where you have been scouting? I think that is where I would start. 102 is just like any other area in western Wyoming, the area is not just gonna GIVE you a big buck, just like anywhere else, your gonna have to do your homework and work for it. You can go anywhere in western Wyoming and shoot a 150" buck, 102 is not special just because everybody shoots a 150" buck. Western Wyoming has a lot of big bucks, good scouting and hard work will raise your chances at getting one, and believe it or not those same tactics work in 102! Good Luck.

I would dedicated the last week of the season to do most of your hunting. The bucks should be starting to rut and hopefully you get some cooler weather. Good luck and post some pics.

Honestly there are bucks all over the unit. I would find good glassing points and see what you can find pre-season. If you can't make it out to do much scouting - then hold out to the end. The rut activity usually picks up at the end of the hunt. You'll see a lot of crab claw/big forkies and three points from my experience, but the big bucks are out there. I don't think I'd pass a buck over 170 though. Good Luck!

Hunt high and get away from the roads.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

"Hunt high and get away from the roads"

Thats a funny statement for 102, as there is a road on top of almost every ridge.

Western wyoming has alot of big bucks, yeah right sounds like somebody doesn't know what they are talking about or doesnt know what a big deer is.

Pine Mountain is in Unit 102 right. Now the backside of that private stuff use to be pretty good. But I haven't been there in 15 years. Can't tell how many new roads that is there now with all the oil drilling going on ,But I would bet a bunch.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. Leaving here soon and will surely post a report and pics once we get done with the hunt.

Let's call it "energy development," then, as there's plenty of that going on. In 08' there was a crew digging a pipeline across the country during the hunt. Lots of other sites associated with energy development, which just adds to the amount of roads and activity . . .

I hunted it some and last yr.. you need to glass glass glass! roads are everywhere ...I think you can't go anywhere more than a half mile with out running into a road!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom