Area 40 Deer

Triple_BB

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-10 AT 01:01PM (MST)[p]Got back yesterday from my deer hunt south of Boise. Hunted hard for six days before finally connecting with a great buck. It was a true DIY. I slept in my truck, moved from location to location, and hunted by myself. A special thanks to Mark, Dan, Gordan, Swamp and Ed who provided tips and suggestions for my hunt. The deer were rutting when I showed up on the 5th and were going heavy by this week. When I got my deer, I was watching a group of doe's who were watching something else that I couldn't see. I crawled through the snow and sage down a hill side to look into a draw and saw my buck and another large buck going at it. Their antlers were locked and the dirt and snow was flying. After several minutes, the other buck gave up and started running off. My buck chased him at least 300 yards before stopping. When he started back to the doe's he had a severe limp. I managed to sneak closer into some junipers and took a 300 yard shot. When I looked at the front leg, he had a hoof literally ripped off. The guys I talked with weren't seeing many bucks. Every buck I saw had a doe with him including the spikes and small bucks. What was unfortunate is there seemed to be very few small bucks. That forkie season will be the death of 40 at some point down the road. I don't have a dog in the fight, but if the Game & Fish here pulled something like that, I'd be raising hell as would many other resident hunters. I didn't get any field photos as I shot right at dark and was 5 - 6 miles from the truck. If anyone ever draws the tag, feel free to pm me. I'll be happy to provide what info I can and more than anything tell you what not to do...

2258035.jpg

Nice buck, I know someone who drew the tag and shot a buck that was about 250. The mass was incredible, you couldn't wrap your hand around the bases.

I agree, congrats on the nice buck and thanks for the good story.

I was lucky enough to get that tag 5 years ago and have been unsuccessful in drawing since. :-(

That is a great buck congrats! I was out there yesterday trying to help my dad fill his cow tag. You couldn't see 100 yards all day due to the fog. Did you see any elk while out hunting??

I didn't see any elk. I did see a bunch of fresh cow/calf tracks on Long Ridge just south of the Silver City Rd where it parallels Jordon Ck. A herd cut across the road just west of Bachman Grade in fresh snow midweek. That was about it. Ran into several guys who were asking the same question. They stated they hadn't seen any either...

Congrats Rick. Great buck and sounds like a great hunt. I wll give you a call soon and talk to you about every thing that happened on your hunt. Congrats again, Rick.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-10 AT 04:14PM (MST)[p]Youngbuck,

I was out near triangle, north side.

Were you and your dad in a ford pulling a 4wheeler trailer? Dad have a beard? Me and my buddy talked to a couple guys pulled over looking at a decent buck....was wondering if maybe that was you guys?

YB

Man,

That is funny. The description is spot on, but it wasn't us because we didn't see any bucks...all does. Saw a lot of tracks that indicated there were bucks in there though!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom