area 7 early archery

I have hunted it quite a bit. I have no problem sharing this info. Since it is not easy to hunt where I am offering. It can be an easy hunt for a 140-160 buck. Lots of country to hunt. But I have always found better bucks in the Jarbidge wilderness. Hiking in or taking horses and hunting from a base camp. It will take a good 1/2 day to a full day to pack in. It is a drought year up there. Bucks will show, anything over 180 would be a giant.

I have been doing alot of research on this hunt and I cant seem to find any where around the wilderness that has cold storage. Does anyone know what the heck you are supposed to do in this country if you kill something in the middle of August? I can alway drive to Elko or Rogerson or Jackpot but something a little closer while another tag is trying to be filled would be great. can someone please help! does the town of Jarbidge have anything?

Jake

If your up in the mountains and away from you vehicle skin the deer and bone it out, it gets cool at night so let it cool down, and then keep it well insulated from the heat of the day.
If your near your vehicle have coolers full of ice, they make some good coolers these days, there shouldn't be any excuse to ruin meat because of heat.

If you don't mind going to elko then take it to Martin Kraft. He will butcher and wrap it and keep it in a freezer. 775-753-9747. I'm not sure if he will do cold storage only, but give him a call and tell him your situation and he will probably work something out.
One time I deboned a buck, put the meat in cloth meat bags and put it in creek for about 30 minutes before I hiked out.
Several times I have hung the meat up in a tree overnight and hiked out the next day. fatrooster.

If you bone it cover in something that breathes and keep it out of direct sunlight will go a long long way!

Also with the ice chest these days you can keep ice for ice down for several days

Guys, dont take this the wrong way but i am not looking for an instructional video on how to take care of an animal. What I am saying is that I have 2 tags to fill in 10 days up there and I dont want to have to babysit an animal in a ice chest if i kill something the first day i get there, it is much easier to hang it in cold storage and not worry about it till i am ready to leave, I have had to babysit an animal in a cooler in 90 degree heat before and it really just sucks. Fatrooster thanks for the phone number it might come down to making that drive. With that being said i was just hoping someone knew of a walk-in cooler around those parts.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-13 AT 07:17PM (MST)[p]Don't know if they have a cooler for your situation in Jarbidge. If you call the Outdoor Inn in Jarbidge, they would probably know that answer for sure, but I would be surprised. If you kill one early and want to enjoy the rest of your time, I would definitely recommend spending the time to drive to Elko or Jackpot and then you don't have to worry about it. I know that sucks, but it may be your only option. Call that Outdoor Inn and ask though. You can find the number if you google Outdoor Inn in Jarbidge. Just looked up that number. Try 775-488-2311. They should be able to answer that. Good luck.

Im headed out friday for a week in the promise land and I just wanted to say thanks in advance to everyone that helped, especially Fatrooster and Hntfool. I will post pics when I get back!!!!!!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom