Arizona GMU 34A - December 1-10 tag

Meatseeker

I unexpectedly drew an Arizona GMU 34A tag for the December 1 to 10 season. I'm not really prepared. I anticipated it taking several years to draw the tag. I'm coming from back east and likely will not be able get a partner come with me on such short notice.

Does anybody know of a good outfitter in this region?

Or is this a reasonable safe hunt to do solo? My plan would likely be to get an Airbnb in Patagonia and day on public land.

An information or insight anybody could provide would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Do it Solo. Get yourself some 12-18 x binoculars and a steady, lightweight tripod. Find a good glassing point, glass where there aren't any roads going into that particular canyon. Look at the ridge tops, and top 3rd of the canyon walls. Coues deer seem to move, at all hours, more than any other deer. You will find some areas that hold a ton of does, but few bucks, and vice versa. Just keep at it, you'll find a buck or 2. I'll be in a neighboring unit then also.

You should call Bobby Boido at Coues Outfitters in Tucson. Unless you have lots of experience hunting coues deer you will be much better off with an outfitter.
Bill

Completely opposing views there…. Depends on how experienced you are with western Deer hunting….. If you are an experienced western mule deer hunter, and good with optics and western tactics, it’s totally doable on your own. Glassing Coues is PHD level, glassing, so keep that in mind.

I think it’s a great unit, and there are deer from top to bottom. If you want an outfitter, call Shadow Valley, hands down.

Thanks all for the input. I'm not super experienced with western hunting. I've been on 3 DIY trips to Colorado for mule deer and was successful 2 out of the 3 times. I'm moderately good at picking apart a mountain and glassing up mule deer. But this looks like a whole other level of difficulty. I'm not concerned about failing. I'm in it for the experience. I'm more concerned about safety. I have some concerns about hunting solo in the back country 3000 miles from home. You know.... having a partner so if things go sideways you have a safety network.

The illegal immigrants that come over are trying to stay away from you more than you are them. With a gun in your hand, even more so. I personally didn't/don't worry about it. It may be a little different if you were actually camping as well, but your not. My daughter and I went 2 for 2 in about 4-5 days of hunting our first time. I personally believe they are a very huntable species, and if you enjoy the challenge like I do, then go for it. If you need assistance like some do, then hire a guide. Good luck.
20201128_140300.jpg

20201128_165448.jpg

I unexpectedly drew an Arizona GMU 34A tag for the December 1 to 10 season. I'm not really prepared. I anticipated it taking several years to draw the tag. I'm coming from back east and likely will not be able get a partner come with me on such short notice.

Does anybody know of a good outfitter in this region?

Or is this a reasonable safe hunt to do solo? My plan would likely be to get an Airbnb in Patagonia and day on public land.

An information or insight anybody could provide would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
That’s a tag you can draw just about every year in the future. Don’t confuse Dec 1-10 with a true “December tag” which is the last half of the month. Neither are rut hunts, but the 1-10 is probably the toughest tag there is, as they have been hunted nearly non stop since October, and are a month pre rut so they’re gonna be holed up. Hike in off the roads and glass hard, if you’re seeing a lot of does, hike in further and glass harder. If it doesn’t work out, turn it back or eat it as you can likely draw it again next year and the year after if it works better.

That's true mostly. The buck I shot was at the end of November and was already tending a doe. In fact, he is standing over the doe in that picture. I totally agree with above. Go learn the country, and draw the tag as often as you can. I love this Coues hunting!

Do it Solo. Get yourself some 12-18 x binoculars and a steady, lightweight tripod. Find a good glassing point, glass where there aren't any roads going into that particular canyon. Look at the ridge tops, and top 3rd of the canyon walls. Coues deer seem to move, at all hours, more than any other deer. You will find some areas that hold a ton of does, but few bucks, and vice versa. Just keep at it, you'll find a buck or 2. I'll be in a neighboring unit then also.
You should call Bobby Boido at Coues Outfitters in Tucson. Unless you have lots of experience hunting coues deer you will be much better off with an outfitter.
Bill
Amen to that! You need a safety net if things go wrong
-& it can happen in the blink of an eye ?- many areas cell phones don’t work period. An outfitter
I know & guide too, very experienced, slipped 5 years ago & broke his ankle- a nightmare to get out by himself, could easily have died miles in the Az mountains. Very scary! Never ever hunt alone.! Don’t gamble with your life.
Jerry Gold In Windsor, Colorado

I have hunted 75% of my hunts alone. Usually more successful that way. Most of it without a spot or inreach. My mother used to drop me off on horses and I would tell her I'd meet her on the main road 5 days later. This when I was 15 -

I feel safer in the mountains than on the highway headed there...

I hunt and camp alone on the border. Every time I leave, I tell my wife there is a chance I may not be coming home! But it’s a chance I am willing to take Cheers.

Spend what you would on an outfitter on new or upgraded glass. 15x56 binos ( Swaro SLC/Meopta Meostar/Zeiss Conquest HD) on a good tripod and a quality spotter and do it yourself. Get there early after thanksgiving and scout. DO some homework on glassing techniques and go. After this hunt you will have figured it out somewhat and have better equipment for the next one.

That's true mostly. The buck I shot was at the end of November and was already tending a doe. In fact, he is standing over the doe in that picture. I totally agree with above. Go learn the country, and draw the tag as often as you can. I love this Coues hunting!
There is absolutely no rutting going on until early January at the earliest. Maybe small bucks will sniff and follow does once in awhile in December is all

There is absolutely no rutting going on until early January at the earliest. Maybe small bucks will sniff and follow does once in awhile in December is all
Um ok. I guess the buck standing over the doe I shot, and chasing her around was practicing. lol.

Um ok. I guess the buck standing over the doe I shot, and chasing her around was practicing. lol.
Most likely yes. Coues will not be rutting at all at that time.
Just because they are not rutting does not mean they don't "practice". I took a video this weekend
IMG_3755.png
(this a picture from the video) of this buck smelling, lip curling around this doe most of the afternoon. I'm pretty sure she wasn't in heat.

Meatseeker,
It is totally up to you on the outfitter just as much as it is hunting solo. I love huntng solo but my wife really likes me to have a friend with me and I don't mind the extra eyes. I would offer help but I have the same date but in a different unit. Maybe I could help if I tag out early on a monster! LOL
Enjoy the experience, I've been hooked ever since I moved to AZ 17 years ago on these little whitetail. If you don't already, get the best binoculars you can afford and get them on a tripod. Glass from vantage points till you can't glass anymore, take a leak, sit back down and glass the same stuff you just glassed again or move 50 yards for a different perspective and glass some more. A good lightweight chair or "butt pad" is a must too. These hunts are just as mental as they can be physical but they sure are fun!
Check out coueswhitetail.com when you have time, there is a few friendly folks there that can help point you in a direction or two.
Jeff

I’d say 3 out of every 4 years we see some rut activity start right around Christmas. Usually not much earlier,other then bucks starting to cruise around looking for does in heat. Last year, we didn’t see much rut activity until the second week in January and from what we saw, it only really lasted a couple weeks and wasn’t as good as most years.Usually the prime time is the last 3 weeks of January. When we hunt that 3rd hunt (the one you have), we make extra sure to hike into areas that haven’t been hammered with pressure. Most of the popular areas will have been overrun during all the earlier hunts by that time, and generally you’ll find significantly less deer numbers and only small bucks that hang with does in the places easy to access.There’s no reason you guys can’t have a great hunt! ive shot bucks anywhere between august and January, but yes the tactics definitely change

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom