Arizona Late Unit 23 Elk Hunt

My dad is looking into drawing this hunt in the 2014 season. He is looking to kill a 340+ bull. Is this the right hunt to be applying for? If not what other hunts should we be looking into. He has 8 points as a non resident. I look forward to hearing others experiences on this hunt successful or unsuccessful good or bad.

Thanks

That's a tall order on any late hunt, possible, but not easy by any stretch of the imagination. There are some very good guides that could possibly get him on that kind of a bull. If he is planning a DIY hunt, he better be prepared to spend at least a week scouting prior to the hunt. I think the quality has slipped in 23 in the past few years, but 340 is a very realistic goal. A lot of hunters go into 23 with the thought of harvesting a 400 bull and I don't know of any in the past 2 years. The one good thing I would say about 23 is there seems to be a greater percentage of intact bulls on the late hunt than some of the other units. If he is wanting a guide, I would heartily recommend Clifford Pirch http://cliffordpirchoutdoors.com/hunting--fishing-guide-service.html
He was born in Payson, has lived there his entire life, hunted since he was just a kid and knows 23 as well as anyone. You will not meet a finer man IMO as well.

Sir...I spend about over 100 days a yr in 23..I have hunted both the early and late hunts for the last several yrs....I would be happy to answer any questions you have. Give me a call...Dave 602/228-1719

I had the tag this year,took this bull on the first day. The area can be a very physical unit to hunt( Dave thanks for the help packing out).

228514.jpg

I also spend a ton of time in 23, and have been for over 20 years. There isnt a guide in 23 that can equal greg kroghs track record for consistantly taking big bulls. I mean there isnt even one close. Look up mogollon outfitters and don't get talked into someone else.

>Congrats on your bull that is
>awesome. Did you guys go
>down early to scout at
>all? If so did you
>see many elk?

I live in Phoenix only about 60 miles from the unit, so i scout it on the weekends. Spotted this bull about 10 days before the hunt.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom