Arizona OTC Non Permit 23

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
I just finalized plans for a trip with a good buddy to visit AZ this summer for some archery deer hunting. Our intent was to visit in Jan but since that didn’t work out and our tag is still valid, looks like we will give it a go this Sept.

My thinking is to hunt north of the I-40 and hope for a little cooler weather. The downside to this is pressure from elk hunters.

I’ve hunted a half dozen times south of the 40 between Kingman and Wickenburg but I think I’ll head north and get started right after Labor Day weekend.

What’s the deal with all that State ground checkerboard in those units north of 40 (is it huntable) and is the big Bo still accessible for a fee? I have hunted in this unit once but it was on private land.

Are the deer and elk existing in the same general habitat?

I’m just planning on tent camping and staying mobile. Never thought I would go out and hunt this is in the early but I’m really getting excited about it.

Grateful for any/all input.

Big Bo allows hunting for a fee. Not sure about OTC archery deer, but imagine they allow it. I've hunted elk there 5 times over the last decade or so- and would not classify it as great deer country. Elk out number deer 5X in the 4 areas I am familiar with. (one is off Big Bo).

I imagine there are pockets of good deer country- and admit I've never scouted for that purpose. But I've spent a good 70 days scouting or hunting the unit- and I've seen only one mature muley and zero coues in that time.

I have avoided most of the country between the NF and Bigbo just north of I40. The private parts are not part of some big ranch that allows hunting- it's literally checkerboarded with small lots. North of that, (think north of the NF)- there are large ranches that allow hunting without a fee- and one large one that does not allow hunting at all.

I’ve had better luck in many cases hunting state ground in NM and AZ but got my eye on it for sure.

I’ve elk hunted 8 before and I seen a few deer. Likely the season will be closed in 8 by the time we show up in September.

I wouldn’t waste money on the Bo. There’s plenty of areas off it that hold deer. There are not huge pockets anywhere, but there are some very big bucks in 10. Find a good tank with tracks and concetrate on it, and the area surrounding it.

Headed out with a buddy who’s relatively new archery deer hunting, looking to spend some quality time north of I 40 on the early season archery hunt. I haven’t counted the January season at dozen times I never hunted the early season. I’ve harvested one desert mule deer with a bow,  and hoping to get back in the red zone on a quality representation of the species and help my buddy do the same. Good luck to y’all in the field. ??

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom