Arizona Spring Turkey?

stanley

Very Active Member
Who's going?

I've never been turkey hunting before, but was invited to put-in with a good hunting buddy. We'll be up in unit 23. He's got a couple of spots scouted out that usually have birds, and he knows how to call (supposedly...:) ). I'm really looking forward to the experience. Should be a blast!!!! (pun intended... ;-) ) Maybe do a little shed hunting while we're there...

Good luck to anyone else who is going.

S.

:)

stan, spring turkey hunting is about as much fun as anything. great sport and a great time to be in the woods. unfortunately the Az. g&f yielded to pressure from the forest circus and we now have a "summer" turkey hunt. the season starts on the same weekend it used to end. sure wish they would change it back. the strut is pretty much over when it starts now. when it started in early april, i liked to take a horse and haul it to where ya couldn't get past the snow drifts and then take off. get a couple miles from where the roads were blocked with snow and the toms seemed to gobble all day. great sport.

Stan,
Hope ya get some birds. I went to NM last year around Easter(weekends of April 15+22) and the birds were still gobbling. Sure is neat to watch them come in all strutted up to the call and dekes. A crow call makes a good locater call for before first light. Good luck.
Doug/RedRabbit

Thanks for the words guys! I'm really looking forward to it. In years past, I've been basically stuck with the 'fishing bug' this time of year. It's nice to have a hunt to look forward to! Maybe wet my whistle a little for the fall draws...

Anyway, we'll see what happens. Hopefully we'll get into some action! Can't loose though; Worst case, it will be a nice long weekend out in the woods with the boys!

S.

hunt en SRING gobblers,it don't get any better.Just returned from a Nv hunt last weekend in Unit 24,bagged a nice "RIO",Strutted and Gobbled right up to HIS end.Will be in the "Kaibab" for the Early hunt at the end of this Month.Gobbling Meriams on the snow line,that doesn't get much better,either.

Way to go, azbiggame. I always enjoy hearing about big, boss toms hittin the ground. I am headed home (west TX) and am going to try to stack some if those big boy gobblers is I can. Congrats on your birds.
Scottyboy

Azbigame my buddy and I will also be up at Kaibab the weekend of April 23 for the opening of turkey hunt. I sure hope they are still mating. If so should be a great hunt. jim

You guys are getting me all worked-up! After hearing some of the stories though, I'm a little bummed that my hunt is so late. Oh well, it's my first year doing it, so I'm sure I'll have a blast learning either way...

Can't wait!

S.

caelkhnter:"MOST" years the 1st. hunt on the "KAIBAB"for Turkeys is the best,except in 2003,when a BAD late snow storm came in and blocked alot of GOOD areas.Just checked weather and is SNOWING tonight above 8,000,hopefully that will be it for rest of month.Just a little "Offering",stay on the snow line,for "BEST" luck in 12A,for Gobbling Merriams,in late April.Yelp,YELP,YELP !!! Good Luck ---

What do you guys like to use for shock gobbling merriams at night? I've used coyote howlers and people who are with me hear gobbles but I don't. The sound of the howler washes out my hearing. Is there a better way? BTW I have a late 27 spring tag.

Stanley, good luck on your hunt. I had the late tag last year and they were still gobbling. I got one opening morning. It was my first time hunting turkey during the spring. Was definately a blast. It seemed like most people were road hunting and pulling over every so often and calling. So if your friend has done some scouting it sounds like you should do pretty good. I know a couple spots if you need any help. You can send an IM.

Swivelhead,carry 3 Calls,when attempting to "Shock" an Ol Longbeard,once He gets on the roost for the night.One will always work better,that evening for some reason,an Owl Hooter,Coyote Howler and a Canada Goose Call ---

Jim,this will be MY 4th year in arow for drawing a Spring Turkey,in 12A.Love hunting those Gobblers,in the "Kaibab".There will be 6 hunters in our camp,2 "CHERRIES",should be fun.It sure beats WORKING ---

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom