Arizona Strip Hunts

crimedog

I am thinking about starting to apply for hunts on the Strip. I am from Utah and don't really know anything about hunting on the Arizona Strip. I have been thinking about applying some where out of state and this is close enough for me that I can easily reach the area.

First question is what is the time frame for a Non Res to draw this tag? And 2nd what area's on the strip would you apply for.

This subject has been talked about a lot on here, Basically the units 13a and 13b are considered by most people as the Strip. The 12 units are also up there on the Kiabab Plateau. As far as non-res draw odds they are very slim.

John

WELL....... it is absolutely impossible for a non-resident to draw the strip: 13A,13B, without MAX points. non-res's can ONLY get 10% of the tags. there are 44 billion non-res's with max points. it also costs 100+ dollars to apply in AZ each year. so plan on waiting a long time, and paying lots of money. By the way, i'm not trying to be a pesimist, it's just the sad truth.

got to buy a license= $151.25
preference points are $7.50

I think I read somewhere that the Max points are in the about 15 if you do the AZ hunters ed class and have the loyalty points also. so look at it as a investment of $158.25 for the next 15 years and thats saying that the prices dont change...

But somebody has to draw, you always hear about folks drawing with no points or 3-4 every year so it can happen...

Look at all the 14yo girls that have been drawing the Moose tags the last 5 years with no points...LOL

I know someone has to draw, but the license fee plus application fee just for a bonus point is bogus. Because of this, I'll never hunt Arizona, though I would love to someday.

So hunt the strip with the bow, then u don't even have to draw. I didn't say it was easy, but there is your solution. As a non-resident u are crazy to apply for a rifle for all those years. Hunt colorado or wyoming or even idaho.

T

Yes archery tags are OTC, and if your going to hunt archery anyway, you might as well apply for rifle so you can eventually draw. It has not been proven that NR cannot draw without max points, it can, does, and will continue to happen every year that some will draw without max points. There are just as big of deer on the Kaibab if you work hard enough, and being that close, you'd be crazy not to go archery hunting there.

It's Bush's fault!!!

WELL SOME OF YOU FELLAS ARE CLOSE,& OTHERS DANCING AROUND THE FACTS. I TOOK THE HSC IN KINGMAN IN JANUARY & NOW HAVE 10 POINTS. THIS IS THE #1 POINT POOL ACCORDING TO THE NUMBERS THE ARIZ. DEPT. OF FISH & GAME JUST SENT OUT. THERE ARE 313 PEOPLE IN THIS TOP POINT POOL (10...STARTED DAY ONE). THE FOUR LATE DEER HUNTS (INCLUDING THE STRIP) REMOVE ABOUT 90 PEOPLE A YEAR FROM THAT POOL. ALSO CONSIDER THE HUNTERS OPTING FOR A DIFFERENT UNIT, OR JUST PULLING OUT OF THE POINT RACE ALL TOGATHER....THIS MIGHT PUSH IT TO 100 PEOPLE A YEAR. THE 10 POINT POOL ALSO INCLUDES THE HS CLASS POINT & THE LOYALTY POINT AS THERE NO HUNTERS WITH 11 POINTS ACCORDING TO THE GAME & FISH DEPT. I'M REALLY ONLY STAYING IN THE DEER RACE BECAUSE I WANT THAT ELK TAG REAL BAD....ITS A FEW YEARS AWAY!!!! ...YD.

crimedog:

OTC archery tags are good for 12A/B and 13A only (for zones north of the Colorado River). 13B is NOT open to archery during the archery only season.

BOHNTR )))---------->

My hunting partner and I drew the 12B-West late deer tag in 2004; I had 6 points then and he had only 3. I drew the same early tag last year with 3 points. There are ways to hunt the areas, just not always the most highly sought rut hunts.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-07 AT 11:25PM (MST)[p]I have the same tag-12B West Nov9-18 muzzleloader-should be great hunt IF you know where the deer are on the unit at that time. Otherwise, it's a camping trip in the land of the forked horn buck...

Is the $100+ cost to apply still true if you only put in for deer? I am an AZ resident and I think the AZGFD is moving in the wrong direction by raising tag and license fees after the Montoya carnival. Regulation by raising prices is foolish in my opinion and I said so when AZGFD asked me.

Anyway, its my understanding that you can check a box on the application to issue a costly non-resident license only if you are drawn for a tag. Now that AZ has moved the elk and antelope application process to Feb and left the deer applicaiton process in June, it seems that having to purchase a hunting license before applying has been eliminated unless you want to apply for an elk and antelope tag at the same time.

I started hunting Colorado elk a few years back and I think their system is great. They tweeked the resident / non-resident system a bit last year, but its still more than equitable for a non-resident to draw a tag. AZ's system sucks at best even for a resident.

I think a non-resident can apply for an AZ deer tag without purchasing a non-resident hunting license as long as you only apply for deer. Considering its going to take several points to even have a chance at a tag, just plunk down the $7.50 application fee and apply for only a point for a few years.

Let me know if I am off base because I must admit I do not know all the non-resident rules for AZ.
264X300

Both residents and nonresidents must purchase a hunting license to apply for a permit.

tooele
The Arizona Game and Fish Officers that work on the Strip notified me the other day (during the archery hunt), that the strip will no longer be over the counter. It was approved to go to a draw for the 2008 season, they are not sure on the number tags yet, but it sounds like there will also be a chance that they will allow a couple of archery tags on 13B. Not to sure what I think of this, but it sounds like it is a done deal. This also includes the 12A and 12B units into the draw.

No need for any of you to put in for the strip cuz i have 10 points and so do 3 buddys. We are 3 or 313. If none you you put in my chances get better so dont. If you dont think its worth it your nuts. heres the buck I took the last time i had the tag. This was the last day buck, saw and hunt 5 bigger bucks.

if you are a non resident and want to hunt the strip you better buy a lottery ticket at the same time you put in cause you got a better chance of winning the lottery than drawing that tag

Just Living The Dream

>Both residents and nonresidents must purchase
>a hunting license to apply
>for a permit.

You dont need a license to apply but if you want a point you do

Being despndant at not taking a good buck yet this year I thought I would relive the past with my strip buck. The year 1987. The handsome young man was me.

Ransom

4724efe7376dd343.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-07 AT 03:26PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-07 AT 03:25?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-07 AT 03:24?PM (MST)

I didn't know that they had those little red X bucks in Arizona.
What did he weigh Gila?

Ransom

>^$^%^$^&(*()()^$ i hate tring to post
>a pic on here. I
>still dont know how

Gila

It's real easy. Just have your son or daughter do it for you. After awhile they will show you. Thats how I did it.
Will send PM.

Ransom

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-07 AT 03:54PM (MST)[p]>>^$^%^$^&(*()()^$ i hate tring to post
>>a pic on here. I
>>still dont know how
>
>Gila
>
>It's real easy. Just have your
>son or daughter do it
>for you. After awhile they
>will show you. Thats how
>I did it.
>Will send PM.
>
>
>Ransom
Well thats it I"ll never be able to do it as i dont have kids

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-07 AT 04:04PM (MST)[p]>Overton what unit did yours come
>from

13A.

Ransom

Check your PM's

>C:\Users\Air Arizona\Pictures\Big strip bucks\1996-Arizona-strip-07.jpg

Your missing a step. Go back and keep doing it until the preview looks good.

Ransom

>C:\Users\Air Arizona\Pictures\Big strip bucks\1996-Arizona-strip-07.jpg

C:\Users\Air Arizona\Pictures\Big strip bucks\1996-Arizona-strip-07.jpgC:\Users\Air Arizona\Pictures\Big strip bucks\1996-Arizona-strip-07.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-07 AT 04:24PM (MST)[p]C:\Users\Air Arizona\Pictures\2007-10-09 1996 Arizona strip\2007-10-03 1996 Arizona strip\1996 Arizona strip 005.jpg

>
4725094d0f9107c7.jpg

Monster

Blow him up in your pictures file and see if that helps.
Looks like your getting the hang of it.

Ransom

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom