Artificial insemination for deer herd?

BrowningRage

Long Time Member
Is this even a thing.? Has it been proposed or maybe even tried somewhere.?

We talk about many issues with deer numbers going down, could it be possible to capture does and inseminate them.? Could we put hundreds or maybe thousands of additional deer back on the mountain every year.? :unsure:

We talk about many issues with deer numbers going down, could it be possible to capture does and inseminate them.? Could we put hundreds or maybe thousands of additional deer back on the mountain every year.? :unsure:

But it's only a problem in UT ?

So they are finding that the pregnancy rate in all the herds across the state (utah) is very high, like 85-90% if memory serves me. The problem is not with insemination, but with keeping them alive through that first year.

You can look up the fawn survival rates on the dwr website for each unit. Something that has been a lot more of a factor then anyone realized is the effects the drought has had over the last 20 years. They only recently learned how devastating the drought conditions are especially to the young deer in the last few years since they heavily invested into GPS collar studies.

so...where would you get the semen?....walgreens?..yours won't work

One buck can really get around. It's not a bad way to introduce what biologist would call "one migrant per generation" to enhance genetic diversity.

It sure did Heartshot.! I thought some guys might know of a project that was tried in some state, or maybe a private ranch or something that has seen results. Leave it to MMers... ?

I think JakeH answered my question. If that high a percentage are getting pregnant, then I'd say the bucks and does are doing their part pretty well.

It sure did Heartshot.! I thought some guys might know of a project that was tried in some state, or maybe a private ranch or something that has seen results. Leave it to MMers... ?

I think JakeH answered my question. If that high a percentage are getting pregnant, then I'd say the bucks and does are doing their part pretty well.
You thought your OP was a serious question???....lol

I would bet high end deer farms are 90+% AI'd

They have a hand full of trophy bucks they jerk off twice a week for semen.......half a year to freeze to breed their does....

No wild herd is going to be AI'd with farm semen....so........wtf are you getting semen from the wild herd??

You do realize not all does come into estrus at the same time. How would you know which doe is ready to be impregnated. That is why few bucks can service many does.
Private animals will be giving a shot that brings them into estrus.

You do realize not all does come into estrus at the same time. How would you know which doe is ready to be impregnated. That is why few bucks can service many does.
Private animals will be giving a shot that brings them into estrus.

Come on man.

Where'd you learn that BS? Biology class?

Only 170"+ bucks breed, and breeding day is once a year.

Get out of here with that book learning.

Sigh... If the issue was low pregnancy rates then this might be needed but typically pregnancy rates even birth rates are not the problem. It is fawn survival. As mentioned someplace else. In NW Colorado the studies are showing 90% pregnancy rate and of those 70% or more of the does are carrying twins. Really hard late and cold winters can cause some of the doe to abort but having that on a large scale is really rare.

The real problem is keeping the babies alive a year. The study I helped with in NW CO had significant neonatal (babies) mortality when they were first born. The study, which last I heard, was still tied up in court by the environmentalist(Sierra Club types), showed that targeted removal of predators, specifically black bears, had a huge impact on fawn recruitment and survivability. Same held true for lions and for bobcats. Coyotes not so much...

The money and effort would be much better spent on things to help fawn survival, especially new fawn survival. Closure of fawning areas to atvs, hikers, mountain bikes, etc. Targeted predator removal in high use nurseries. Habitat improvements, removing or rebuilding old sheep fences, etc. The study I worked with, showed that once the fawns reached a few weeks old (like 4 or 6) they had a significantly higher survival rate.

Similar came out from N Utah.

Targeted and specific predator killing in nurseries and at time of births was way more important than continued throughout year.

Closing areas would be great. But can you imagine the freakout? Shed hunters filled GSL with their tears, add off roaders, bikers, hikers to that

Similar came out from N Utah.

Targeted and specific predator killing in nurseries and at time of births was way more important than continued throughout year.

Closing areas would be great. But can you imagine the freakout? Shed hunters filled GSL with their tears, add off roaders, bikers, hikers to that
Hell I am a jeeper and love off-roading etc. But for 6 weeks a year I can avoid certain areas. I can skip hanging out on the most important winter ranges. I can also avoid going into the best fawning areas for a bit... But like you said there is a lot of pressure against that...

I find the mountain bike groups are pretty hard to convince...

Awesome idea…. Proof is clearly in the sandwich on this one. If only we could auction off a few LE tags to fund the endeavor after over head and consulting costs of course.
@ultimatePoRkEr

IMG_3064.jpeg

IMG_3065.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom