Aspen regeneration projects

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-14 AT 07:25PM (MST)[p]Thanks lump. That's what this was all about... Getting people's thoughts on the issue and method. Good.... Bad.... Or Indifferent.... Supposedly he has been getting a lot of attention from the same departments on your list.

Put up any thoughts as this will be relayed to the company owner for his digestion.

It's a pretty good commercial. Makes sense that it would work but the money required means it probably won't be able to be done statewide. For those who can afford it, go for it, and I am sure that in some areas, public moneys could be spent on it. The question is: is it that much better than a controlled burn, because it is much more expensive.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Cost against recovery ratios will drive the decision. I'd like to think growing secondary feed that elk and cattle will select over the young aspen shoots would justify choosing this kind of treatment over burning but if the cost is much higher, my gut tells me the government will chose the cheaper method and try to keep the elk off, through various methods, including killing some of them, until the aspens are up 6' to 8' tall.

You might have them share their methods and costs with the executive director of Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife in Salt Lake City. SFW paid a lot of money to high fence some aspen treatments in the last few years, to keep the elk out until the aspens are big enough to survive but it is very very cost prohibitive to fence these 10,000 acre treatment areas, so fencing these projects is a very marginal option. Nobody can afford it. If this groups cost is low enough, compared to burning, and conservation groups like SFW and others such as the RMEF could make up the difference, that could be an option the Forest Service, the UDWR and the Conservations organizations might consider.

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom