Attracting Mule Deer

hikenhunt

Do any of the grunt tubes, doe calls, rattling antlers, buck bombs and doe scents in a bottle work to attract Mule Deer ???

They seem to work on Whitetails but I haven't heard much about success with this stuff on Mule Deer.

I've called in a lot of mule deer while coyote hunting using fawn bleats. It's usually the does that come running but then they drag the bucks with them. I don't see why grunts and rattling antlers wouldn't work either.

I have only tried scents, specifically 4x4 doe in rut scent by wildlife research center.
I have harvested 3 muledeer using the product, 2 I felt were self defence.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-09 AT 11:52PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-09 AT 11:19?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-09 AT 11:16?PM (MST)

I asked a similar question a few days ago about the same thing. Last night made me a believer in using scents, grunts, & rattling for mulies (especially right now). I was hunting out of a treestand, and at 6:00 I grunted 6 times. I had set out 8 scent wicks with mule deer buck musk earlier. Not 5 minutes after I grunted, I just so happened to look behind me, and a nice 4-point was coming straight at me like he was on a string! I didn't even hear him. He came in totally silent, but he was not feeding-he was looking....looking for a fight just by his posture. After about 15 minutes and at 10 yards, almost straight down, I slammed him and that was that. Talk about an exciting and learning experience! He never knew what hit him and after 100 yards or so he was done. I have no doubt that the scent and grunts played a major part in me getting that buck.

2009wasatchbuck.jpg

2009wasatchbuck2.jpg

2009wasatchbuck5.jpg

2009wasatchbuck9.jpg

Thanks a lot for your reply, story and pictures. I'm hunting the archery extended and need any advantage I can get.Nice 4-point.

>I have only tried scents, specifically
>4x4 doe in rut scent
>by wildlife research center.
>I have harvested 3 muledeer using
>the product, 2 I felt
>were self defence.

LOL, what did they do, tried to breed ya? hahaha

Like Matman says, they come in lookin for action.

First deer came at me from the bottom of a small draw sprinkled with saplings. Ears were laying back, waving his head from side to side- it was me or him!
second deer was a just wandering the side of the hill about 20 yards away, never even new I was there.
#3 I was setting up on a big buck about 200 yards away. He was holding a doe but I had high hopes. I waited till the wind was right then sprayed the scent-just then a gust blew it in my face, I felt like a fool when it happened a second and third time! I sat down and only waited about 3 minutes. 3x3 coming uphill to the scent. ears back, head down doing the whole side to side thing. At 50 yards I stood up, at 40 I waved my arms, at 30 I whispered loudly "go away!", at 20 I moved a couple of yards to my right, when he changed direction to follow, I punched a hole in him at about 15 yards. 1 of us was going to get mounted-he looks good on my wall!

Tabby,

I don't remember the name of my grunt call and the name is worn off so I can't read it. I bought it a few years ago at sportsman's warehouse and it is a mule deer specific grunt tube.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom